In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Russian M44

RiekeRieke Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
ok, the family is asking what i want for my birthday, i want a russian m44 in the wrapper,or is the polish m44 or hungarian m44 any better?they would be for the occasional trip to the range. any and all opinions on these rifles is appreciated. i can obtain one through the father in laws ffl, and has anyone dealt with J+G`s ltd. are they ok?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,I was wondering if anyone knows if I could rechamber my M44 to a more popular caliber than 7.62-54r? Any advice you have to offer would help. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me if these guns are any good. i'm looking for a cheap rifle to take through the trees while deer hunting so i dont scratch up my good rifle. what kinda range are they accurate up to. and can you get hunting rounds for them there chambered for the 7.62x54
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I find parts, accesories and a manual for this rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a russian m44 from a friend for $80. he said he paid $120 at a gun show, but needed the cash, so... since then i've had an offer for $200 and an offer for $400 from another guy for the rifle. i have not fired the rifle, and it appears to be like new, has all matching serial numbers, a hammer and sickle stamp with 1945 below it, working bayonette, pretty much in mint condition as far as i see. i'm obviously a new gun enthusiest and don't know alot about firearms, but i figured this was just a surplus rifle that pretty much anyone could get for $100-$120 bucks. right? or did i stumble upon a rifle worth more? thanks for the help.

-jason
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELCOME to the forum !!!
    Don't take this harshly. The folks here are always willing to help nearly anyone, and only a few get nasty now and then.

For sure, you could rechamber your fine Russian Mil-Surp specimen to another caliber .....you would be put in the rubber room though.

It would cost FAR more than the gun is worth in the first place.
    Secondly, 7.62 Russian ammo isn't hard to find at all. You may be able to buy 2000 rounds for what you paid for the gun...depending.
    ENJOY !!!
    You have a very economical and functioning centerfire rifle, with a rich history, and cheap ammo. It ain't broke, ____ ___ __.

The only thing you really need is another gun, but thats always a given. Just ask anyone here and you will get many suggestions.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree. Rechambering is an expensive proposition for a cheap gun.
    There is lots of ammo out there, the milsurp is real cheap.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    In one word. No!!!!!
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree. Mil-surp 7.62 x 54 is relatively cheap and generally of good quality as far as function goes. The cost of rechambering would be prohibitive, and the magazine interruptor means you would have to stick with a rimmed round, or spend ANOTHER $100 to have the feed lips removed. Whatever you did, it wouldcost about 4 times the original cost of your rifle. Best of luck, and welcome aboard!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Milsurp is easy to find but I was looking for a good hunting round. In Oregon it is illegal to hunt with fmj, doe's anyone know where I can find sp or hp rounds.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norma makes an admitedly pricey round for the 7.62 x 54R using thier Topedo bullet. At around $40 a box, it will certainly outperform about any commercially availble fodder for the gun. Check around various local gun stores for the Russian made Brown Bear (I think it was) stuff. !0 round boxes were once going for around $10.00, but I have not seen it for a while. Check also Midway USA under the ammo section as they have to have something listed to give you a better idea. This is a VERY popular hunting round not only in Russia, but Scandanavia and the rest of europe as well. It equates in power to the 308 Winchester so is obviously a great choice for hunting if the right bullet is used. Also, there is a scout mount available from B-Square for about $40, and you can use a handgun scope (BSA would be my economical choice) that while not perfect in eye reliefe, will serve just fine for the hunter on a budget. I have such a set-up on a minty Polish M-44 (Nice thing is I can revert back to Mil-Config with no problem for reasons of collectability)and with my handloads it is a 1 MOA gun...not bad for the amount of money you would lay out.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Spend your money on milsurp ammo. What will you ream that chamber out to? .45 basic? That is a rimmed cartridge and is way fat at the base, you're talking a major overhaul.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.sportsmansguide.com 180gr Wolf softpoint 20rds $12.17 + frt

180gr

www.midwayusa.com 180gr Norma sp 20rds. $46.99
    180 gr Winchest sp 20rds. $16.99
    180 gr Wolf Gold 20rds. $13.79
    200 gr Wolf 20rds. $ 9.39
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sellier and Bellot makes good soft point ammo for your rifle. Not expensive.