In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

another universal carbine question

SageSage Member Posts: 367
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
Several years ago I inherited several long guns from my wifes uncle. He had quite a collection and most were quality. I received a mid fifties Winchester model 70 in 30.06 a Winchester model 92 in 44-40 and a Universal carbine. It seems to be a well made and accurate little carbine. We have shot it alot with different size magazines without any sort of problems at all. No jamming or stovepipes, just pure fun.The inleting and metal work are at least equal to any of the WWII carbines I have seen. So why do they have such a bad rap?

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Because they are a poor substitute for a WWII carbine. Substandard parts and redesigned recoil system.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is, that their were different "generations" of the Universal Carbines. The early "good"? ones, were made with mostly G.I. parts.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early carbines were GI compatible. Later ones are still pretty good little guns.
    Bill
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toward the end of production, quality slipped. Many parts were not made to the correct specifications.

The most significant problem is that some carbines can fire "out of battery", a condition in which the bolt is not fully locked when the round is fired. Although I have not been able to document a case where a carbine blew up due to this malfunction, it COULD happen. It would be prudent to test your gun (with a primed case ONLY) to see if you can make it fire without being fully in battery.

Neal
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Yep, there's an idea; TRY to make it screw up, and if it does; toss it in the trash because all those who have never even held a Universal Carbine say it's going to blow up in your face.
    I now have 3 of aforesaid carbines, and STILL can't understand what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth was all about. Maybe the serial numbers are lies as well; mine range from 112xx to 553xxx, and every G.I. part I have tried to use has fit perfectly except the stocks-due to the little tang on the back of the receiver.
    IMO, they are well-made with nary a tick in performance, regardless of whether they were actually used in combat.
    Now, if I run across one made by Hesse/Vulcan.........
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine had the bolt blow out of his. He still has it, but is a afraid to shoot it.
  • Options
    SageSage Member Posts: 367
    edited November -1
    Want to thank everyone who answered. Have been doing research all am about these carbines. We, I think, have one of the "good" ones machined receiver etc..But after what I have heard and seen ours just went into retirement. Some real horror shows out there, time after time, article after article. Not going to take any undue chances. I kick myself for not looking into this sooner.We will consider ourselves lucky that it did function well and now will be a memento of my wife's uncle and his love for firearms. My boys and I talked it over and we will put together and buy a surplus shooter, probably from Gunbroker or CMP. Again thanks all.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    My Universal Serno. is 19433. I didn't like the aluminum fire-control (trigger) housing. Nothing wrong with it. Just preference. Ordered a late war Inland type VI housing, and it dropped in w/o a hitch. Not a hint of slop/looseness. Now, I'm a happy camper. True, I have a little more space between the GI steel housing and the Universal stock, but..so what?? The stocks weren't meant to be a load-bearing/support component for the FCG anyway. Mine is a single spring Universal w/GI op-rod. Best.

EDIT TO SAGE: If your serno. falls w/i my and gunnut's range, just enjoy the damn thing. Can't vouch for the later (2 spring) versions, though.
  • Options
    chasdevchasdev Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought two spring version new in the early 70's.
    I have pumped at least a thousand of rounds through it including milsurp FMJ, aftermarket FMJ, and aftermarket softpoint with nary a glitch.
    (yes rapid fire kid stuff thirty years ago too)
    I would never ride a collectable carbine as hard as I ride my "worthess" Universal.
    I stuck it in the closet for a few years without cleaning it and it had no complaints.
  • Options
    aliasalias Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every now and then the topic of Universal M-1 carbines comes up on here. Since I own one of these (later double spring model), I have done some internet searching for a documented instance of one blowing it's users face off. I also asked on here for a credible link to such an event. If it was all that common, documented evidence would be all over the place. Can't find any. I have, however, come across a couple different places where authors claim that even a USGI M-1 carbine can "fire out of battery" if the overall cartridge length is too long (don't have a link, sorry). They recommend checking case length and trimming if necessary when reloading. So I suppose it's possible that a Universal would have that same problem. Mine never has. I did once, some twenty years ago, see the bolt blow out of a USGI Winchester that a friend inherited from his grandfather. My guess is that the Universal problem is more of an urban legend than anything else. One of those "my barber's brother-in-laws neighbors buddies cousin new a guy once" things propagated by folks that heard it and repeat it. Once again, any credible links would be appreciated.