In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 vs. 450 Marlin vs. 444 Marlin

catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking about getting a lever gun in one of those three chamberings. Does anyone hold and advantage over the other two? In my uneducated mind, I'd go with the 45-70. Educate me as to why one of the other two might be a better choice.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No education required. Of the three, the 45-70 is the easiest to find, and it is offered in considerably more factory loadings. The fact that it has been around for 133 years does not hurt it any either[:0].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was my thinking, but what then is the purpose of the other two? From what I've read, they're in about the same performance class as the 45-70.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45-70 is best will do anything. 450 does not have any of that verisitilty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    That was my thinking, but what then is the purpose of the other two? From what I've read, they're in about the same performance class as the 45-70.

Neither the 450 Marlin or the .444 Marlin can be loaded with a 500 grain bullet. In my opinion, neither are the "equal" to the venerable old 45-70, unless you are comparing the 300 grain 45-70 load. As for why they were invented... pure marketing (trying to fool the public into believing they needed a "new" gun).
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is always some concern that 45/70 hot loads may find their way into older rifles which can't handle the higher pressures. One story about the 450marlin is having a rifle in that loading one will make sure that mistakes don't happen. Personally I sold off my sharps when I built my 45/70 Siamese Mauser 98. A buddy of mine in Idaho got himself a 444 and really likes it when he is in thick cover. When I press him as to why he didn't get the 45/70 he says he wanted something different. Myself I expect that one of these days I'll pick up a 20" or longer barreled Marlin in 45/70 and it will become the second lever gun in my collection. The first is an early model 99F savage in .308win.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, then how good of a choice is the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 (the pistol grip version).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, then how good of a choice is the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 (the pistol grip version).

It would not be my first choice, but as most of you know, I am a diehard WINCHESTER fanatic[:0][:0][:D][^]. My first choice is an original Winchester Model 1885 high-wall. My second choice is an original Model 1886 Light Weight Rifle. My third choice would be one of the modern reproduction Browning or Winchester single-shot rifles. My final choice would be one of the modern repro Winchester or Browning lever-actions. With all of that said, I here good things about the modern Marlin Model 1895 lever-action rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

It would not be my first choice, but as most of you know, I am a diehard WINCHESTER fanatic[:0][:0][:D][^]. My first choice is an original Winchester Model 1885 high-wall. My second choice is an original Model 1886 Light Weight Rifle. My third choice would be one of the modern reproduction Browning or Winchester single-shot rifles. My final choice would be one of the modern repro Winchester or Browning lever-actions. With all of that said, I here good things about the modern Marlin Model 1895 lever-action rifles.

I had a sweet little Marlin 336CS back when I started hunting and I regret to this day getting rid of it. I've shot some Winchester lever guns and personally I like the Marlins better.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I had a sweet little Marlin 336CS back when I started hunting and I regret to this day getting rid of it. I've shot some Winchester lever guns and personally I like the Marlins better.

Well, that just proves the point that "there is a butt for every saddle". It also proves that not everybody has good taste[}:)][:D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Thank god for Marketing and new
    cartridges, I think it helps keep shooting
    alive and we need all the help we can get
    these days. As far as those three
    rounds (45-70;444 and the 450) being brush
    guns or "thick stuff" medicine.
    In my humble experience, I
    prefer not to shoot but I've shot
    at deer with the 30-30;32;35 and 444;
    308 and 270 thru all sorts of brush at different
    times ,sometimes I get 'em other times no.
    I think all brush does is deflect the bullets
    and obscure your vision as to which way they're headed
    after you shoot.As far as I'm concerned
    a brush gun is one that is easily wielded
    in the woods no matter what the
    caliber and now that I'm older and "wiser"
    I try to stop my self from shooting thru
    brush but it's a difficult thing to do
    up here in the Northeast (hunting pressure and.
    thickets)