In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 carbine questions.....Mark????

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
looking at a few carbines, need one to complete the set (have garand and paratrooper). not concerned about collectibility. nice looking shooter is all i want.
the choices:
iver johnson and plainfield are like new. $600.
GM and Inland are field grade and matching. $600+
all input appreciated!
thanks
tom

appreciate the info! not looking for a collectable, just a shooter that is true to the original. did some research on the Iver and plainfield, seems both were made with USGI parts and aftermarket barrels. at least they were in early production.
neil, "field grade" is my description of the guns, kinda like CMP grade on Garands.
kinda beat up, but shootable.

thanks
tom

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The IJ & Plainfield carbines are commercial copies. They will probably function well, but they aren't USGI & will never be "the real deal".

CMP has never graded the carbines they sold, so the term "field grade" means whatever you, or the guy selling them, means. At a minimum, I would check the bore with a "poor man's Muzzle Wear gauge", a round of USGI M2 ball .30-06 stuck point first in the muzzle; if ALL the copper jacket disappears into the muzzle, it is shot out. Also, reject the carbine if the bore is not bright & shiny, & free of bulges.

$600 is at the bottom of the price range for decent USGI carbines. Your best assurance is if you can buy one with CMP documentation. Otherwise, you are taking your chances.

Neal
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 nmyers! Low ME and TE on the barrel. Spend a little more money and go for condition, not a collectible.

Emmett