In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S & W experts ??

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just sold a nice S&W 25-5 nickle in .45 Colt (auction side here), it had one of the alphabet ser. #'s (AYJxxxx), I have a S&W 25-5 blue in .45 colt with a N ser. # (N 658xxx). Why the different type ser. #'s on the same model ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They started the 3 letter alpha prefix's in 1980. I heard it had something to do with the feds. Don't know if that's true or not, but wouldn't be a bit surprised. As a ex federal employee, I would be happy to attest that everything the gobiment touches eventually turns to s**t.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

The S&W 25-5 was produced from 1978 to 1988.

The S&W 25-5 #N658xxx was produced in 1979/1980

The S&W 25-5 #AYJxxxx was produced in 1988

Also some time in 1988, they went to the M25-6 when several engineering changes were adopted, a new yoke retention system being one.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's due to permutations & combinations.

With numbers in each position, you get 10 possibilities. But, when you go to alphabetic, there are 26 possibilities.

With the old numbering system, they couldn't exceed Nxxxxxx without going to 8 positions (& requiring some new stamping presses). With 3 leading alphas, the possibilities are 26x26x26x9x9x9x9=? . (Too early to do the math in my head.)

Neal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I didn't know when they changed to the newer system