In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.25 Remington, Kingfisher

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I read your post on this and it was already locked. As you may know the .25 Rem. is based on the .30 Rem., which was Remingtons version of a rimless .30-30. The 6.8 SPC is based on the .30 Rem.

Meaning the bolt faces are all going to be the same.

So, as Hawk Carse noted, find yourself a used 6.8 and rebarrel it or an original, but less than stellar condition model 30 in .25 or .30 Rem and work with that.

This is really a pretty cool round when modern powders and bullets can be used. One of the original loads was a 117 gr. bullet pushed to about 2100-2200 fps. In a modern firearm (1-10" twist) this can easily be duplicated using the Berger 115 VLD to get excellent long range ballistics. It can also launch light .25 cal bullets such as the 60 gr. and 75-90 gr. bullets up to and past 2900 fps. Giving it a great niche as a varmint gun with some serious smackdown.

-good luck with this build.

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the goal is a 25 caliber bolt action rifle with a modest caliber perhaps the box magazine fed Remington 788 should be considered. A Remington 788 in 30.30 would require only a barrel change to make 25.35 WCF. Another rifle would be the Savage 340 - and I suspect barrel changes are a bit easier in the Savage, although it seems to me the Remington is the better rifle.

I'd wonder whether a 788 in 6mm Remington (.244) can have its barrel recut to .257 and the 25 Remington used?

For single shot the Encore is an easy choice and Match Grade Machine can make almost any barrel/cartridge a person needs. I have a 24" in 25.35 WCF and it's pleasant to shoot, extremely accurate with the 75 grainers or so.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I'd wonder whether a 788 in 6mm Remington (.244) can have its barrel recut to .257 and the 25 Remington used?

You would have to rebore and set a 6mm Rem barrel way way back to take the skinny .25 Rem.

A single shot is the easy way out.

A Savage bolt action with replaceable bolt head would be something to look at. I don't know if they make one for 6.8 but either it or Remington could be gunsmithed.