In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 ruger carbine?

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I've got a 44 magmun carbine rifle that the bolt locks back about every third time you fire it. Acts like its the last shot. Is it an easy fix or gonna be trouble. Anyone know what causes it? I'm thinking about breaking it down and see if I can repair it. All gunsmiths around here are backed up for about three months. Thanks in advance for any help.
JW

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine does this every once in a while, needs a good cleaning.

If it still happens after that, check to see if there is anything that prevents the next round from feeding through.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    llama got it right, the gas system is dirty, needs a very good cleaning
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it the older Ruger 44 carbine, where the receiver is not a cast part like later rifles/carbines, there is a separate bolt guide piece that fits just above the ejection/loading port that needs to be cleaned and carefully fitted back in place with loctite. Otherwise, the bolt will lock open and sometimes not even close. I have seen some of these old Ruger 44 carbines that were permanently jammed and sold as is because the bolt guide piece had come loose. Never did like those carbines. Their bolts never seemed to return to battery and accuracy suffered as a result. Ended up trading it off. It's probably still out there somewhere with the silver conchos, the original owner an Indian embedded in the stock, with the running and standing bears engraved on the conchos. Thought it looked good but not an accurate shooter.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    llama got it right, the gas system is dirty, needs a very good cleaning

I too have seen this problem before. The owner was firing WW lead SWC. There was also an occasional failure to feed. The Ruger manual warns against using lead bullets as they can cause problems with the gas system: Jacketed only. Good cleaning and use of jacketed bullets fixed all. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the newer version Deerfield .44 and it also warns that only jacketed ammo should be used and no aluminum cased ammo.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have a 1971 Ruger 44 carbine deluxe and
    it shoots fine at 80 yds, less than minute of deer.
    I have a K2 or 2.5 and I'm sure with
    a good scope and fine tuning my handloads,
    it will do better.
    Remember , it was never meant to be a tack
    driver just a woods deer gun and it sure
    does the trick.
  • Options
    Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    A friend brought me one of the older models to check out. I tore it down and it was gummy and filthy every where. I don't think it had been cleaned since new. I cleaned up all the moving parts, cleaned the bore which was also nasty looking. When I finished it looked great so I thought I would put a few rounds through it since I had never fired one of those little rifles. I puled the trigger once and it worked fine but I would not pull that trigger again. I thought the crack when it went off had deafened me. I shot a lot of 44 mag pistols and never had that problem. Swore I would never own or shoot one again but when I gave it back to him he said it worked fine.
  • Options
    crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of these now, after a really good cleaning they have been great shooters.
    As mentioned use jacketed ammo not pure lead heads.
    This has become my go to gun for shooting pigs in New York.
    6a630b626ba4048c3eebb0f21a2acca0_zps4657dd7f.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have two of these now, after a really good cleaning they have been great shooters.
  • Options
    edited November -1