In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser 98

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have seen quite a few rifles on gunbroker for sale that are Mauser 98 actions and are reasonably priced. Are they reasonably good actions or what's the scoop on them?

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser 98 that I received from my dad. He doesn't remember anything about the gun, it's caliber, year, model etc. It has the markings Rax98 and the serial number is 9033 with some kind of mark underneath it and on the bottom of the barrel under the stock is stamped BO.955 It has a BERLIN PECAR 6x59 scope on it that I found out was purchased in 1959. Does anyone know how I can find out more about this gun?, its absolutely gorgeous and in mint condition. I really want to know the caliber and the year it was made and any other information that I can. Thanks zlaw_1@charter.net
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 98 Mauser. It has a German eagle, the letters CE and 44. The numbers 934772 or 934712 appear several places on it. Here is also a symbol like a cursive n ... any ideas when this was manufactured or what it's worth?
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone,I'm Jim,I'm green and I'm lookin for info on an old mauser.IS this the place?
    edited November -1
    I bought a Mauser 98 action today for a project. I'm not a real Mauser expert, I just like the actions, planning on building a 35 Whelen. My question is, where was a Preduzece 44 marked action made?
    On the right side of the action, (from the butt end) is stamped E1921.
    The action has been buffed and blued at some point, I can't find any proof marks.
    Thanks for looking.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    My father left me a Mauser 98 and I am trying to find out what it might be worth, I may decide to sell it. All the serial numbers that I can find match, barrel, bolt, trigger. It has what looks like the original leather strap. the markings on it are 43 ar. It also has the german eagle and swastica markings in several places. the serial number is 8947. are there some other things I need to check ? What would be a decent price for a gun like this ?

Out in Montana
    edited November -1
    Ok I dug another one out of my safe and started looking it over.
    Its a Mauser 98 and has the following info on barrle
    WAFFENFABRIK
    MAUSER A.G.
    OBERNDORF A/N
    On the side of chamber it has a stamped figure of maybe a lion with wings and then 5217 Dew .98
    Oposit side it has some german letter with a crown above it . There are three of these in a row.
    On the stock there are 2 emblems of some sort stamped into the side maybe the same letter and crown and then maybe an eagle.

I will post pick tommorrow in the light of day. My flash and the inside lighs just do not cut it to get a clear pic.

It seems to have matching # on all parts and even has the letter and crown on every part even the screws.
    edited November -1
    what make 98 mauser do i have top of receiver marked 1943 dot barrel marked cd left side of receiver mod.98 flying eagle on side and top of receiver

douglas t goode
    edited November -1
    I have this old mauser in 9x57. How much work would it be to make it into a 35 whelen? Is it worth the trouble? Open to suggestions!
    edited November -1
    I just pick up a 1918 mauser rifle with a lyman57 peep hole sight on it with a bishop stock on it this rifle is in excellent shape i need as much help as i can get to identifying this rifle chamber date is 1918 and a date above that is a 1920 the serial number is 3729 i would like to sell this rifleafter i get some information on it. if you need pictures please email me at drpepper 1939@roadrunner.com
    edited November -1
    Since Numrich is not selling recievers any more, does anyone know a good place to get stripped Mauser 98 recievers? I don't want YUGO's.

Garyd
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Preduzece 44 denotes factory #44, the main Yugoslav arms works at Kragujevac in present day Serbia. They refurbished many different types of Mauser rifles there, in the years after W W II.

Actually the rifle was probably a 98 K captured from, or surrendered by the Germans at the end of the war. Other Mauser rifles were also refurbished there. The most common being Belgian or pre war Serbian short Mausers. These Mausers have different dimensions than the German 98 K's, so it's possible to tell if your rifle is originally German made.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Be aware that many of teh Yugo actions are intermediate length, and may require that you buy a stock blank special to that length. Which several companies make; Boyds has instructions for measuring on their site.
    edited November -1
    I would think that the E1921 stamp on the right side of the action would denote it being manufactured in 1921, then rebuilt in Yugoslavia. The Preduzece was put on with different stamps than the E1921. I have a Mauser action in accustom built 250-3000 Savage, the bolts are the same length and are interchangeable.
    W.D.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Q: "where was a Preduzece 44 marked action made?
    On the right side of the action, (from the butt end) is stamped E1921".

The "Pred 44" by itself is largely immaterial, as it COULD signify any of DOZENS of Yugo depots where countless 1000s of captured German K98k's were refurbed/altered. W/out any pics here, FORGET about any native-built M24s, 24/47s, 48s - as some sported similar siderails.