In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BHP - 1969 vintage question

VonFatmanVonFatman Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a decent BHP this week. It's a shooter. I'd coveted a Belgian gun and this would fit that requirement.
It shoots great.

My question...someone suggested that for some reason 1969 was a "good year" for BHPs. If so, why? I assume it being a Belgian assembled gun is a plus (it is for me), but what makes this1969 'C' model HP special (if it is at all).

The reason I ask....I was looking for and bought the gun as a shooter. My intention is to have a well qualified HP 'smith do a little work on the gun....remove the magazine safety and smooth out the trigger for use at the range.

If there is a good reason to leave this gun stock and find another to "slick up" I'd probably consider that rather than tweak a gun that is better left stock.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Bob

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most HP's seen in the US are Belgian, made by FN (Browning never actually made guns). We see some Canadian HP's (made by Inglis), plus some Chinese copies.

I am unaware of anything special about 1969. Lack of importer markings suggests that it was made early than 1969.

I see no reason to remove the mag safety, or make any other visible changes; you aren't going to carry it into combat. It's your gun, & you can do with it what you like; but, I've never failed to look back & regret making a permanent modification to any gun I owned

Neal
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    With the rust on it, go ahead and have it built the way you want it [;)] HP'S are my favorite gun also and shoot one of them a lot. Pick up a 22 conversion for more fun [:D] I have the FM from the dealer warehouse and it works good [;)]
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Lack of importer markings suggests that it was made early than 1969.".............ah........if "browning arms co...." and "made in belguim" aren't 'importer' makings I don't know what are. It is a nice H.P. and removing the mag. safty will improve the trigger without altering the gun (the parts can be re-installed). As to "
    I see no reason to remove the mag safety"......without a magazine you have a nice paper weight. Even a single shot is better than a paper weight.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pistol. +1 for a single shot, you can always convert it back.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob,
    Given the 1st pic shows some heavy holster wear/slide pitting (per dcs' comment), this specimen is nothing to bank upon for collector value.
    Mag safety alterations are an easy 5 minute job & completely restorable, so it's your call there. Be advised to retain all of the orig factory mag safety parts - if this route is pursued.

O/W, nice rig
  • VonFatmanVonFatman Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great replies. I look forward getting this guns trigger a bit better. I will be sure to keep all take-off parts.

Bon