In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca XL900

pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
My grandson can buy an Ithaca XL900 20 Ga. with two barrels,28inch modified, and 26 inch improved. The gun is in very good condition, no marks on blueing and one small 1/4 inch scratch on the stock. Would $275 be a fair price for this?
Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's a great deal.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get it--sweeet shooters
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good deal to me, I googled it since there are none for sale or any in completed auctions on GB. Found one with two barrels that sold for $500, and found others ranging from $375-575. The asking price seems more then fair, get it.[8D]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know beans about this Ithaca, your requesting 411 about. Only thing I can add because of this. Is that when the deal looks to good to be true, it generally is.

The XL900 hasn't been made for years. The original Ithaca company that imported it from Japan, has also been defunct for many years. Any time your dealing with a orphan gun like this, your facing a lot of potential problems. At least advise your grandson to test fire it before buying, if possible. Any gas operated semi-auto shotgun can have severe internal problems, but be pristine externally.
  • Options
    jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi P Phillips
    I have been an FFL Dealer since 1970. I bought and tried several of the 20 Ga. XL 900, I liked the idea of shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells. They are a beautiful gun. Now the downside, they were notorious for jamming, cost me Pheasants more then once. I would bet money it will jam and not cycle the shell. Definitely shoot a box in it before you buy it. I see a lot of MISINFORMATION from these guys who call there self experts.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I to have shot several,,and no problems--I am not an expert in 900s, but as long as they are somewhat clean, I never had any problems-YMMV
    I have made it my quest in life to shoot anything made and try to remember how the item functioned ect-So its your call,,out of production doesn't really scare me at 275--heck it would sell at a local aution for more than that-
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns were made by SKB in Japan and imported by Ithaca. The gas system on them was fairly complicated and had lots of parts. Guns Unlimited in Nebraska did warranty work and other repairs on them. While typing this I looked for their address and found several forum posts that the factory in Japan has been closed. Supposedly, an outfit called SKB Shotguns has bought all the blueprints, etc. and is planning on continuing their manufacture. Both business list the same street address. Her aree their phone numbers. SKB Shotguns: 402-330-4492. Guns Unlimited: 402-339-0771. It is claimed that GU has a huge inventory of parts and can maintain service for years. I would call and find out for sure before buying.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Buy it. The 2 barrels are worth that money.