In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vintage walnut pistol grips

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm cleaning up a 70 year old pistol with nice walnut grips. No cracks, but very dry. Should I leave them alone or rub something on them?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    rub on some OLD ENGLISH
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Ballistol Will clean and feed the wood you can use on metal Wood Leather and is NON TOXIC
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should never oil woood, despite the fact that oil is sold for wood. It will soak in and eventually discolor the wood. Wax, like Trewax or even Johnsons if far better. Several coats.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I favor handling them by taking them shooting, between you and the gun oil it is usually enough.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forum member & Moderator Bert H. turned me onto this stuff http://www.oldwestsnakeoil.com/
    I use it on everything from gun stocks to our dining room table. Great stuff.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the pistol? And what is its overall condition? That could make a difference for choosing what you do.

If its something with significant collector's value, and the grips are in their original condition, anything you do to them might degrade value. If the overall condition of the pistol is good/original -- and there is collector value -- you'll probably want to find out how the pistol left the factory and finish/maintain it consistent with that.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the curators at the Springfield Armory National Museum, wood on guns doesn't need oil.

Wood only gets dry when most of the natural moisture gets removed by improper storage; e.g., 40-50 years in a house with forced hot air heating & no humidifier. Over the years, internal moisture will drop to near 0%, & the wood will eventually crack & crumble.

Oil such as tung & linseed will help prevent damage from moisture & keep dirt from soiling wood, but won't preserve the wood if the internal structure is already damaged. Petroleum based oils, as in gun oil, will discolor & damage wood.

Neal