In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 inch Shotgun barrel?? (Defensive modification)

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
hey all....currently i'm on the search for a good defensive shotgun...Remington 870 is my top choice right now, I have looked at the express magnums, police magnums, and the marine. however the overall length of these shotguns concerns me. I am concerned that an attacker may grab it from me, that and it is harder to manuever around the house. I could put a pistol grip on it, but its the barrel length that im concerned with. The less that is toward the attacker the better. so it comes down to this.... I have seen several short barrel shotguns out there, I know someone is taking mossberg shotungs and cutting them to 12.5 inches ("Shorty") and then there is the "Super Shorty" with a 6 or 7 inch barrel or something. Scattergun Technologies produces shotguns with barrels at 14".It must be legal to do this, after a lot of red tape would assume.What i would like to do is get a police magnum or express magnum and cut the barrel flush with the mag tub cap (12-13") and keep the original buttstock on it, sling, sidesaddle, and light.The following link has 2 pictures of pretty much exaclty what i want to do... http://hometown.aol.com/bishop042/SBR.html I contacted "Bishop" and he somewhat explained to me how he did it legally, but since i know there are lots of law enforcement members here, i thought i would ask you all as well.Let us assume that price is no object. What hoops do i need to jump through to do this?Thanks... kaddy

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kaddy, I have a Mossberg 590 mariner. I have removed the stock and installed the optional pistol grip. Yes, it has a 20" barrel but consider this: What you propose will be shot from the shoulder. Measure the distance from your body to the end of the barrel. Now my Mossberg is shot with my right hand on the grip and at my hip. The end of barrel distance is probably less than with your 12" weapon. Just a thought.
    cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    right, but i don't want to shoot from my hip, i want to shoot from my shoulder....I really just want to know if i have to pay that 200 dollar tax or what?
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check your local laws.....in louisiana 18" is minimum, anything less is illegal...... coonsticker on my 4x4 I JUST GOT A GUN FOR MY WIFEITS THE BEST TRADE I EVER MADEAND YES MY WIFE PICKED IT UP FOR ME......
  • Options
    StoverArmsStoverArms Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a lawyer and I would recommend that you contact the BATF before completing your project. First the firearms that you are seeing are NFA registered "short barreled shotguns" most likely made by the manufacture or a Special Occupational Taxpayer holding a Class(2)Stamp. Therefore they are subject to a $200 transfer tax. Second you may be able to file a (form 1)Application to Make and Register a Firearm at $200. If this is approved by the BATF then you could proceed with your project. You can find more information on this proceedure on the BATF's web site at www.atf.treas.gov Be smart, stay legal!
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possible, as mentioned $200 for "making a gun" and probably $5.00 for AOW (Any Other Weapon).A 12" barrel will limit your magazine capacity to four 2 3/4" shells. So, longer barrel means potentially more magazine capacity if you wanted to go with magazine extensions, sorta like a 9mm vs .45 thing with regards to higher capacity etc. You definitely got the right idea about wanting a shoulder fired shotgun, forget those pistol grips. If over penetration is not a concern you could try one of these: http://www.gulfcoastarmory.com/temp/fal-aow02.jpg A lot of goverment hassle to whack off 6" but folks do it every day so it can't be that bad.With either set-up the muzzle blast should knock-em down even if you miss.I'm wrong on the $5.00 part, here's an interesting read: http://www.recguns.com/IIF2.html [This message has been edited by booger (edited 04-01-2002).]
  • Options
    scott5792scott5792 Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that's home defence. nice gun.Scott
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Stoner and Booger!Those 2 links were exactly what i wanted to see! Thanks guys!!Looks like its gonna cost about $250 and about 2-6 months to make get my perfect shottie! Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    very true, thats why i may just stick with the Rem. marine magnum or a winchester 1300 defense.Besides, the gf isn't too crazy about the hassle i have to go through to get it. compounded by the fact she isn't a lover of firearms... =-( (She is very understanding however)[This message has been edited by Kadaver (edited 04-01-2002).]
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Just get a C&R license and buy one of them AOW shotguns made by the factories. Think there are several on the C&R list.
    AlleninAlaska