In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with Samurai Sword quick

cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20272&item=2246544638&rd=1

Tell me how such a sword could sell for such a price.
Thank you

Greatest is he who serves justice with humility.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It appears to be a poorly made display sword.
  • Options
    chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seller is hiding his feedback profile , but has a poor percentage (pos. to neg.) . Product looks like a really poorly made knock-off.
    SHIPPING IS $95.00-OUCH!!!!
    My advice is to stay away.
    Chorkie

???
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy usable katanas for under 25 bucks from some mail order catalogs of course there not realy katanas. But you can cut down brush with them....

A real Katana/Samurai Sword will run you 3k-50k
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    My Daughter just called me to let Me know that She had taken a LookSee at the Sword/s in question...Theres nine or ten words listed by the owner. My Daughter thinks they might be Battle Field Pickups as some Japanese NCO's had Swords made by Chinese Craftsmen while Plundering China in the late 1930's and early 1940's...and its not unusual to find one of these Swords in the Rubble and Buried where Time Covered them or from some Family that had hidden them away...And lord knows....They paid a hell of a Price ....If the Auction was'nt over with I believe She would have bid on all of them...My Daughter is a Noted Collector.......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>
  • Options
    cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many more swords and dealers on ebay that are similar. Just type in "samurai sword" and click on the ones that specify them as being old. I'm beginning to think they are replicas being passed as real. If your daughter knows otherwise please let me know at fuddaddy13@hotmail.com, as I would like to purchase but I don't know enough to verify authenticity. Be very sceptical when bidding. Some dealers feedback has negatives stating items to be fake, but other feedback is positive, I don't get it.

Greatest is he who serves justice with humility.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Fake.
    His feedback is only 93%, that should give you a clue.

He is in Shang Hai, another bad thing.

The sword is probably not as old as last weeks milk. There is a huge market for these Chinese blades to snag the unwary. Most knowledgeable collectors stay away from any swords coming out of China. There's a reason for that!

Be very careful as swords can be easily faked if you don't know what you are looking at.

Any man can shoot a gun, and with practice he can draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. What counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you.
    To die for what one believes is all very well for those so inclined, but it has always seemed to me the most vain of solutions. There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living. L'Amour
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Unless you hot foot it to China and have an eyeball to eyeball Looksee...Gonna be kinda hard to make a Judgement Call...She picked up one in China back when She was in the Military....Turns out to be a Genuine Blade from the 1700's....Sometimes you just have to gamble...I'm not saying ruch out by one...Its always Caviat Emptor...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about Jap swords, but as to the shipping, I ran an 1860 cavalry saber on Ebay and it sold to a gentleman in Sydney, Australia. The shipping on that package to Sydney cost $91.00 American. After a package reaches a certain length the price soars.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Cap, hate to rain on your parade but please note the following:

Pierced Tsuba- Not military and not battle worthy on 20th century military swords.

The green on the scabbard and handle looks to be plastic. Also this is not a hue the Japanese were fond of. Needs to be a bit darker and closer grain.

Dual hangers on the scabbard. No one but the Navy used those. Absolutely not a navy sword.

Blade with numerous writing. Not military type and would not be allowed.

Entirely too much decoration over the entire piece. Would not be allowed in Japanese military.

Tang not shown. Has not had time to rust since creation?

No hamon visible anywhere.

Dragons are more to be found on Chinese items than Japanese, and not on the scabbard.

I could go on, but no need to. Any one of these disqualifies it from a collector standpoint. That's why the item had no bids.

Wouldn't jive ya!

Any man can shoot a gun, and with practice he can draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. What counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you.
    To die for what one believes is all very well for those so inclined, but it has always seemed to me the most vain of solutions. There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living. L'Amour
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone that saw the samuri sword episode of Mailcall last night ran to Ebay to try to find one - they are out there somewhere
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john carr
    I don't know anything about Jap swords....

Refering to Japanese made items and the Japanese people as Jap is considered rude. I am 1/2 Japanese and 100% red blooded American. I've been around the world and back again, dressed in BDU's. I've been deployed to 13 countries. Proud of the blue cord and crossed rifles. Please do not use "Jap" on public forums. It's common sense.[8)]
    Hope this goes without incident. Thanks and good luck out there.

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ouch $95.00 to ship[V]