In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Shot Size Longshot Powder & Pheasants

drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hello: Started loading the Winchester 571 powder years ago. It was a great powder, and really performed quite well in a number of my shotguns. Then along came Hodgdon's Longshot, and quite frankly blew the 571 out of the water. Cleaner, faster, and really performed well in the 1 1/4 ounce loads (chronographed at 1475' per second). I've loaded with #6 shot exclusively, and had good clean consistent kills on Iowa/Nebraska pheasants out to the 50+ yard range. Last fall we spent some time in Montana using my pet load on pheasants, and found that a number of the Montana birds although hit square and knocked down staggered out of it, and often made tracks for the hills. If not for a savvy Springer we would have lost @ 1/3 of our knockdowns. Guys shooting factory loads faired much worse, and switched to 3" shells with little improvement. I normally shoot modified and improved (stack & double barrel guns), as there are always those pesky sharptails to jump; so choking is not much of an option. Several hunting parties that we met shared much the same information, that those northern pheasants were a tougher (and faster) bird. I'm thinking maybe I could work up a load using #4's and get some more penetration? I'd like to save the dog the headache of chasing those cripples. Maybe lighten the load to 1 1/8 ounces. I know I'll be tearing up the carcasses; but 75+ degree days and rough cover really push the endurance of any dog. Any thoughts or success with Longshot and the heavier shot that I'm leaning toward? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning drewto. I've hunting pheasants for a long time, (40 years now). I know there is a big difference between wild pheasants, and the pen raised bird from the Pheasant Clubs. There is also a big difference when you hunt behind a flushing dog versus a pointing dog. Generally speaking, when hunting behind a "flusher" you will be making longer shots. Therefore you might consider a modified/full choke combination. I've killed a lot of roosters with #6 lead, 1 1/4oz load. I also know that birds in the Dakotas and Montanana, seem to have heavier plumage. With all those feathers, sometimes #6 is a little light. I've used #5 and #4 lead on pheasants especially late in the season when they have all the winter feathers. I hunt behind labs, (flushers) so I've kind of grown use to those 30-50 yard shots. When I hunt with anyone, like my father or brother I usually go to a 3 in shell, simply because, trying to run my dogs, and let them shoot first, I'm taking longer shots. Any kind of wind, (15mph and above) or rain, #6 lead may be a little light, for 30 plus yard shooting. Hope this helps you. Regards Dave
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello drewto, have you considered using nickel plated shot in your load? I've had outstanding results on Kansas ringnecks with my 2 1/2" 16 ga using nickel 7 1/2's. The less porrous surface of the nickel platting gives faster vellocities, more penetration and being a harder surface gives fewer deformed pellets.

"Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down"
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont reload but for late season pheasants I turn to #5s turkey loads
    not sure on powder but a copper or zinc coated lead
    Ever try the heavi shot it also extends your range
    I mostly use a 20 ga 3 inch imp/mod
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High base 2 3/4" & #4 shot
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only winchesters...so what gun do you go flushing with, if i may ask?[?]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello BOBSKI: I shoot a Model 23 Winchester 26" barrel, modified/improved; and a Model 101 Winchester in the same configuration; on rain days I'll carry either a Winchester Model 12 or a Benelli Super Black Eagle (but only when I have too!).[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bobski
    only winchesters...so what gun do you go flushing with, if i may ask?[?]