In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

J.C. Higgins Model 85 .22 Pistol

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
The retiring Chief just handed me an old pistol that was in the back of a desk drawer. The gun was siezed back before there was a property room, and has probably been in that drawer for 30 years or more. He thought we might have some fun shooting it.

It is a J.C. Higgins Model 85 pistol in .22 LR caliber. Markings seem to indicate French manufacture. (Pyrenees?) Maybe Unique?

Anyway the grips are damaged and I would like to find replacements. I would also like a replacement magazine so we don't have to keep loading the one mag all the time.

The gun is all steel and seems to be of good quality.

Any help appreciated.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference shows that at least (3) different types of Unique .22 pistols were imported during that app. time frame.

The magazines & grips are all different. If you could give us some data as to barrel length, overall length, type of magazine release, etc. etc. We might be able to narrow it down.

Even better if you could post pictures.

luger_4.jpg
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRIPLE K stocks a standard and extended 15 round mag.
    begining in 1956 this pistol was made in FRANCE for SEARS ROEBUCK using the J.C. HIGGINS private brand nomenclature. its a modification of the UNIQUE CORSAIR, and is not a current production item. TRIPLE K has UNIQUE MODEL CORSAIR parts in stock, and they might have some grip panels. i think that most parts would interchange. you might try them, and you might get lucky.

decent plinker, nice gun. hope this helped.
    best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    TRIPLE K stocks a standard and extended 15 round mag.
    begining in 1956 this pistol was made in FRANCE for SEARS ROEBUCK using the J.C. HIGGINS private brand nomenclature. its a modification of the UNIQUE CORSAIR, and is not a current production item. TRIPLE K has UNIQUE MODEL CORSAIR parts in stock, and they might have some grip panels. i think that most parts would interchange. you might try them, and you might get lucky.

decent plinker, nice gun. hope this helped.
    best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

How old is that TRIPPLE K Catalog your looking at?

They stopped selling magazines that hold more then (10) rounds, 10 years ago.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1
    EDITION 16, 2002
    PG 106 / MAGAZINE NUMBER 613 / 15 SHOT 5.6 INCHES LONG
    its listed, numbered, and in the current catalog...

pg 191 / magazine no 607 / 15 shot star model f...

there are a large number of over 10 rd mags displayed and numbered in the catalog...

wich issue are you looking at???

dont blame me for what they publish...
    i get the soft and hard copy versions of every edition for free because i contribute info and specs to the editors. there nice folks...
    best regards, mike.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    EDITION 16, 2002
    PG 106 / MAGAZINE NUMBER 613 / 15 SHOT 5.6 INCHES LONG
    its listed, numbered, and in the current catalog...

pg 191 / magazine no 607 / 15 shot star model f...

there are a large number of over 10 rd mags displayed and numbered in the catalog...

wich issue are you looking at???

dont blame me for what they publish...
    i get the soft and hard copy versions of every edition for free because i contribute info and specs to the editors. there nice folks...
    best regards, mike.

I have a older "Reference Catalog", It has a full page warning about magazines that are illegal because the passage of laws restricting the number of cartridges a magazine may hold.

It also goes on to say that they, TRIPLE K, have no responsibility for magazines that may be, or become illegal.

My, WAG is that the catalog they send you is a "Dealers Catalog" for export sales. They sure as heck can't sell 15 shot mags in this country.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1
    RUFE...
    i think that you may have a point...
    they can and do sell the high caps to dealers (FFL HOLDERS) and possibly to foriegn export buyers. i had not considered that they might restrict sales to individuals in the U.S. to limit any product liability problems, and ensure they comply with various state and local laws.

but even here in the fine state of NJ we can have 15 round mags.

best regards, mike.