In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of 1914 ELSENER SHWYZ bayonet, mint?

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone give me an idea what a 1914 ELSENER SHWYZ bayonet with scabbard in near mint to mint condition is worth? any idaes as to value is greately appreciated. Thanks for any info. Below is a description of the bayonet.

Model 1914
Length: 24"
Blade: 18.9" saw tooth type
Handle: 4.9
Maker: H.S., H St., Waffenfrabrik Neuhausen, Elsener Schwyz

This bayonet was a long saw tooth model the was issued to the following troops, Engineers, Mounted Artillery Sgt.s, Corporals that were drivers, saddle makers, horse transport soldiers and drivers for motorized field artillery and heavy artillery.
This model differs slightly from other saw tooth models in that it has a bulge at the end of the blade, and is also fuller on one side of the blade.
This was issued to troops who carried the 1911 Carbine and the K-31.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had one of these unique bayonets about two years ago!!! an older gentleman knew what if was,he called it a swiss engineer . he had a vast bayo collection and he bought it from me for $100.00. keep in mind , that was two years ago!!!!
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there,
    I've actually recently sold one on the Internet. It sold for $107.00 but I have seen them go up $200.00. Just depends on demand. If the bayonet was a real find (cheap, cheap, cheap) then sale, sale, sale add it to the toy fund. If independatly weathy or have too many toys then keep it. Thats also a sword, saw, hammer, & a knife as well as a bayonet. Sure would be great if the world turns upside down and you've just ran out of ammo and a really bad, bad, man is coming at ya.

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    It cost $15! I reckon that was cheap enough and picked up a spanish Bolo bayonet for $5 at same auction. Bolo is worth $30 to $40.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    These Bayonets were actually carried By PIONEERS....Miners and Sappers also....The Pioneers are what We today call Engineers... They lightened the Load persay...Knife, Bayonet,Saw and Tent Peg...
    They made Bridges, Repaired Roads and Built Fortifications for the troops that Followed...I've heard stories of Allied Troops Shooting on Sight any Enemy with a Saw Tooth Bayonet....The fear of being Bayoneted By one of these Bayonet was a Terrible thought to behold....Back about 20 years ago I had the Largest Bayonet Collection in the Western United States, and Used to Show a revolving Display at Gunshows in Phoenix, Az., clear up to Salt Lake City...In my Collection of Several Hundred Bayonets, I had 12 Differant Styles and Makes of Saw Tooth Bayonets..With Scabards...and 20 years ago you would be lucky to purchase one with Scabard for $65.00 to $75.00...A lot of these Bayonets were re-arsenaled after the War {WW1} by grinding the Off Saw Teeth ......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PIONERR SAWBACKS for the SCHMIDT-RUBIN series of straight pull rifles are at an all time high right now. i have seen them here on GB, at actual auctions, and gun shows selling for well over the $200.00 mark.

other similar style, full length, teeth intact bayonets from differant countries also seem to currently command a premium.

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.