In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 for Elk?

alazysalazys Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hi, is the .308 calibre sufficient for elk hunting? Any references to a factory load or even hand loaded ammo that could do the job properly? I do have a 444 Marlin but it lacks the range sometimes required. Will I have to purchase another rifle to handle Elk?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    That's the bare minimum for elk around here; sure, I've seen 'em taken with everything down to 22WMRF and up to 458's and it all depends on shot placement.
    Elk are yummy and they know it, so they try to stay alive after being shot.
    Best way to ruin elk meat is to shoot it too many times or while it's running and hot.
    Your 444 would do the job if you are close enough, but remember that the old-timers had 45-70's!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    THINMANTHINMAN Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOUR 308 WIN. WILL GET THE JOB DONE . YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT BE SHOOTING 200 - 250 YDS. WITH ANY CAL. UNLESS YOUR ONE HELL OF A MARKSMAN .
    THE 308 HAS GOOD KNOCKDOWN AND TRAJECTORY AT THESE RANGES.USE 165 , 168, OR 180 GR. BULLETS WITH CONTOLLED EXPANSION AND DEEP PENETRATION .
    WIN. SUPREME SILVER TIP B.T., FAIL SAFE ., FED. PR. PARTITIONS, TROPHY BONDED B.C. ,HORNADY HAS A NEW BALLISTIC TIP THAT SOUNDS GOOD AND HORNADY IS KNOWN FOR ACCURACY. CHECK BALLISTICS AND SIGHT IN 1-2" HIGH AT A 100YDS. AND YOU WILL BE DOWN ABOUT THE SAME AT 200 - LITTLE MORE AT 250 YDS.GOOD LUCK !

THINMAN
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a .308win fan. But I think a .300 win mag would be better. just my .2 cents

eyeflash.gif

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello alazys...

Are you referring to the .308 Win cartridge, or the family of .308 calibers (which includes cartridges such as the 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, etc.)?

The .444 Marlin has more energy (knockdown power) at distances out to 100 yards, but beyond that, the 308 Win outshines it (due to its better retained velocity/ballistic coefficient).

My personal choice for Elk (which are tough animals) is a 7mm Mag loaded with 160 grain pills. I have many friends that insist on using 300 Win Mags or the 338 Win Mag. The real key to successfully taking a big Elk is proper shot placement. I have seen A 270 Win used to take take Elk.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    alazys,

Bert asks a good question for openers since .308 can be a caliber or a cartridge designation as in .308 Winchester.

I would also ask, what kind of terrain are you planning to hunt in. I'm not familiar with your area so you would have to assess it for yourself. If it is woods or forest I think that .308 Win. would be fine. However, if it is open plain with no hope of concealment or stalking, I might pick another cartridge better suited to longer ranges and more remaining energy at those longer ranges.

Above all, work for the very best shot possible, get a good rest or position and make the shot accurately. Select a bullet of proper construction and quality. I personally don't use any form of "ballistic tip" bullets for hunting game. Those are reserved for varmints. I've seen enough meat damage and/or lack of penetration, from this style of bullet to convince me that other, more appropriate styles of bullets, should be used for elk and deer. Other folks are certainly entitled to their opinions and experiences and load what works for them. It goes both ways. Currently, I'm using Barnes Triple Shock bullets for hunting in most cases.

Post some more information and let's see what we can come up with that is suited to your area.

Best.
  • Options
    BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could use the .308 . there a better options out there but then again no caliber is "perfect". me personally i would rather take a .270 win or shortmag elk hunting than a .308 but it will get the job done . i would also recomend using either 160/165 or 180 grain bullets . try the swift A-frame from remington . the fail safe from winchester . or the trophy bonded bearclaw , nosler solid base , sierra gameking btsp offered from federal . i imagine all will do the job . I STRONGLY would advise to staying away from the ballistic tips for elk !!!!!

just my input .

hope this helped , good luck [;)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest you try one of the premium bullet loads in 165 grain. It's hard to beat the nosler partition. The 308 win. will get the job done but requires a little more care in bullet selection. You need something that doesn't open up too quick or too large a frontal area. A big mushroom will hinder penetration. My son used a 165 grain failsafe win. factory load in his 30/06 and punched through both shoulders of a nice bull at 150 yards.

Mobuck
  • Options
    alazysalazys Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I will check out the 300 win mag.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a new rifle for elk is a in the offing, and I wasn't bitten by the magnum bug, I would think heavily about 338-06 or 35 Whelen. These are very effective out to 250yds and pack massive amounts of knock down/stay power.
  • Options
    elkcrazyelkcrazy Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you need to know is Hornady light mag.

~Elk Crazy 257
  • Options
    scottscott Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would suggest if its to far for your 444, then you arent going to make great gains by going to the 308...you go from 150 yards to 250 yards to be in the 1500 foot pounds range; if you go to a magnum 30 caliber, you can extend it to over 400. Elk are big targets and with a steady rest or a bipod ...I have only seen 2 elk lost that were fairly shot ; one at 265 yards with a 270 win and 130 grain bullets and one at aprox. 125 yards with a 308 and 150 grain bullets...my freinds father lost one at 150 yards with a 30/06 and 150 grainers , but dont know where it was hit..goodluck on your choice
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a 308 Win. with handloaded 150 grain Sierra GameKing.Took one at 120 yards and one at 265 yards neither went over 40 yards after being hit.The 308 works because it is so accurate,you can shoot them where they need to be shot.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree .308 is more than adequate and definately look at the Hornady light magnum. No good though unless you rifle can handle them. No autoloaders or levers.