In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser

rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
Yes I have a 1909 straight bolt German Mauser. It's a long rifle and in very good condition. Has all the German markings for that Ara on it. Was wondering if anyone could estimate what it might be wroth. Any help I would be very grateful for. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a 1942 husqavqrna swedish mauser 6.55x55 the bore and rifle is in near mint condition the handle on the bolt is curved along the side of the rifle it has matching numbers looking for an approximate value thank you john
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it a large ring or small?
    I own a yugo 47/24 8mm & having a lot of trouble with parts etc..
    Can some one set me straight on the action size , the trigger guard on this make is 7 3/4 not 7 7/8 or give a book that will help me!
    Thanx, Hoss[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser that has been converted to a 30/06.
    I slugged the barrel and the .308 slug barely seems to catch the rifling, could this be because someone only rechambered it?
    Should I have it rebarreled?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello everyone! I have a question regaurding mausers. How do you tell a M98 apart from a M96? and a large ring from a small ring? thanks for helping out a Noob![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to thanks for all the info, what a great site.there was just one other thing....$ ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is your opinoun of the mauser 7mm or 8mm as a dependale rifle?
    what kind of price would I expect to pay for one in good condition?any other suggestion's in the same prce range? The game Im intrested in is deer, and elk.

JIM FRICK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need info on mauser bauer 71e over under shotgun.Like the years they were produced and what they maybe worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of buying a military Mauser for shooting. I know very little of those rifles but I think I would like to have a Yugoslavian M48 or M24/47. The reason I picked those models is because I heard there are plenty around in excellent condition and the prices are still fairly low. Any comments on those. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a mauser i have had for a long time. i made it a custom gun .at the time i thought it was a 7mm. but come to find out it is not. 7mm is just a hair small in diameter.on top the gun on the chamber it is stamed as follows fabricadearmus oviedo 1932. Could someone maybe help me in finding the correct round for this gun.. Thanks Tony
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a mauser f3648 modelo argentino 1891 manufactuer loewe berlin, just wondering what the value would be, it was handed down from my grandfather...thanks
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the referance section here. Lots of good Mauser info.
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two other major differences between M98 ( German ) & M96 ( Swedish ) Mauser Actions, are

1), The M98, has a 3rd (Safety Lug ) on the bolt, Swede Mauser doesn't have it.

2), The M96, cocks on closing, whereas the M98 action is cocked when the bolt is opened.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M98s were made for dozens of countries.
    The M96 was only made for Sweden. On top of the M96 receiver will be the Swedish crest, which is a crown with an ornate "C" beneath it, and beneath that it will probably say Carl Gustavs Stad, if not it will say Oberndorf, or else Husqvarna. Beneath that will be the date of manufacture, a 4-digit date from 1898 to 1943.
    On the M98 there may be the crest of the country it was made for, but there may be no crest. There may be a date of manufacture, there may be another date, or there could be no date at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, the one I have is a turkish mauser, I know nothing about these things, so would it be a M-98?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotaxpower
    Thanks guys, the one I have is a turkish mauser, I know nothing about these things, so would it be a M-98?

Although the original Turkish Mausers were model 1890's (similar to the 1891 Argentines), it's highly unlikely you have one of those. Chances are you have one of the later ones built on the 98 action.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fair number of the Turk Mausers were of the earlier type, it was the Model 93 as I recall. This type was inferior to the Model 98 as it had only two locking lugs, but it was still a pretty good gun. It was chambered in the same 7.65 as the Argentine that Rufe-Snow mentioned.
    As WW2 loomed, many of these guns were refitted by the Turks. The receivers were heat treated to make them stronger, and they were rechambered to the modern 8mm cartridge. These reworked Turkish Mausers are safe to shoot with modern ammo.
    Still these are not considered as strong as the Model 98, and most Turkish Mausers are Model 98. They are high quality guns, as the Model 98 is the best bolt action ever made.
    Turk Mausers are the Rodney Dangerfield of the military rifle world, they get no respect. They are cheap, and often they are pretty banged up. But guys that own them love them, if the bore is good they are great shooters. I particularly like the fit of the stock and sights on the Turk Mauser, it feels like it was custom made for me.
    I wish I could post pictures, it is hard to describe, but the difference in the two guns is, the Model 98 has 3 locking lugs on the bolt, and it has a large gas shield towards the rear of the bolt.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Turks that are currently on the American market are most the 1938 version. This is a true M98 large ring in all reguards except that the dia of the barrel threads are the "small ring" mauser diameter. The exception is that there is also the 1903 intermediate length action rifle. They are also out there in enough numbers that I have picked up several over the few years. The 1903 can be easily identified by looking at the stripper clip slot in the top of the rear part of the receiver. If this area is built up to higher the usual, like 3/8" instead of 3/16" then this is likely a 1903. Assuming that you have the 1938 Turk and you are looking to re-barrel this is really not much of a problem as most barrel makers make a good selection of the small ring shank size in the basic calibers. But, bear in mind that Turks are not in the high end of surplus Mausers for quality. I wouldn't want to be trying to build a "magnum" on this action. Still anything in the bolt face family should be fine if the action is in good shape.