In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rock island 1911

beckerbecker Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
I've been eyein the rock island 1911 lately. I like it because it is a no nonsense 45. Does any one know how these stack up? Are these very quality pistols? does anyone have experience shooting it?
thanks

Comments

• beckerbecker Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been looking at these, want one in 3.5". Anybody got feedback on them , price is good and lots of room for tinkering.

Neo-Jedi
    Order
    th_reblogo.gif
    th_israel-army_04.gif
    edited November -1
    Someone have any experiance with this handgun? Good,bad,indiffent?
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    are rock island 1911 45's anygood
    are they worrth 300 for one
    or are they just complete junk i heard they used to be
    but someone else has started making them and
    they said they have improved
    any opinions
    thanks

doc
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe these are made in the Philippines by the Armscor Co.

I've have had no hands-on experience with these pistols.

Don't know what your finances are? Probably be better off, getting a basic model Springfield or Kimber.

luger_4.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the ones we have tested for rockwell hardness are "soft" doesn't hurt but not good if you want to try to make a match gun out of it.IE tighten slide ETC as it will losen up sooner. Spring field better choice.
  • pagunpartspagunparts Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your funds are limited, save up for a "Charles Daley 1911". Better yet, a "Springfield", "Norinco", etc.

But if you want one now, I feel that the "CD" is a tad better made. I've shot one for approx. two years now, with only the regular problems that effect any brand of 1911. I've even seen some that where "customized" by a smith. The guys shooting them, love them.
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Charles Daly and the Rock Island are both made in the same factory in the Phillipines. The Rock Island is the more basic model. You'll also see models with just the Armscor name on them with exactly the same features as the Charles Daly. If it didn't have one or the other's name on the side, they would be 100% identical. All three are made in the same facility. I've known guys with the same Charles Daly for the last 7 years who are very pleased. The Rock Island should hold up similarly, they are just a more basic model.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we sell 3-5 per month here at the shop. everyone seems very happy, ie. no complaints yet. it seems to be a near exact copy of the 1911A1 in its mil-spec issue finish and configuration. they do offer a lot of other styles and finishes on the same basic design.

when you purchase the cheapest gun available that is of the type you desire, there may be limitations on quality and function.

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lrarmsx has it nailed; 3 names one factory, maybe a slight difference in grade, but all are made on state of the art CNC machines. Aside from names only difference is in the amount of "bells and whistles", which translates into cost.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Passed several on to customers. They are VERY pleased with the firearm, price and quality. Almost no gunsmithing required when upgrading parts, unless the part manufacturer states so. At this point, they seem to be a great gun to start off with...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thesame phrase has recurred a few times here already..."good starter gun". There is, in my experience, nothing wrong with any of the Armscorp guns. As far as an advanced featured, customizable weapon though? Save up for the Kimber or Rock River gun ( or other such high quality pistol)! The aforementioned issues of Rockwell hardness etc. make these a bit shorter lived than the "quality" guns I mentioned. Having said that, I must admit I like the idea behind the RI 1911A1 redo...just a plain jane copy of the original that will likely give you good service. I am also not sure how many rounds you plan to pump through the pistol but it is likely that with average use, you will never experience wear to the point of failure during your shooting life; if you shoot more than average...it might be a good idea to save up!!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • boltthrowerboltthrower Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one. Its decent, more so because of its prices. It shoots fairly tight groups, but without adjustable sightes I had to aim way high and right to get center. I fitted an argentine slide with bomar adjustable sights on it. Shoots alot better. If you want to be better than the average Joe at the range....this one will do, but wont take you to any national matches. Its biggest drawback was that the slide would catch my skin as it came back, causing slight blistering.
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    perry shooter,
    Although I do not own any of these clones-pls elaborate on the
    Rockwell's that you have tested. This is for my personal information.
    I have tested many a frame and slide. Just wondering what your results were. TIA 101
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO 101 AIRBORNE. I AM A MATCH SHOOTER AND COLLECTOR OF SORTS I HAVE HELPED SET UP SOME MATCH PISTOLS AND LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO USE A HARDNESS TESTER. YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND 40 PLUS HOURS AND THEN HAVE THE GUN LOOSEN UP IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. ALL 1911'S THAT WE HAVE TESTED WERE VERY SOFT AND THAT IS WHY UNCLE SAM INSTALLED FIREING PIN BUSHING IN MOST OF THEM 1911A'1 WERE MUCH HARDER MADE BY COLT BUT REMINTON RAND WERE SOFT AS WELL AS ITHACA WERE SOFT. THIS ALL STARTED BEFORE A "GI" PISTOL HAD ANY COLLECTOR INTEREST. HOPEFULLY NO ONE TRIED TO MAKE A MATCH PISTOL OUT OF A SINGER. IN THE PAST FEW YEARS THERE HAVE BEEN MANY 45'S ON THE MARKET AND WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE "BEST CHEAPEST" WAY TO GO SO WE TEST EVERY ONE THAT CAME OUT THE BEST WE HAVE FOUND WERE COLT 70'S, CASPINE, SOME SPRINGFIELD AND SOME LES BAER. WE TOSS THE BARREL, BUSHING,SIGHTS, TRIGGER, HAMMER, SEAR, SO YOU SEE WE ONLY NEED FRAMES AND SLIDE. THERE IS NOTHING DANGEROUS ABOUT A "SOFT " GUN IT JUST DOES NOT FOR A GOOD BUILD UP INTO A MATCH PISTOL.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay within your money with new pieces with lifetime warranty.

When my funds were very tight, I bought a Firestorm full size 1911... and yes it was 'cheap' ($220) and after about 3000 rounds it is more than a little 'loose'... but it still fires and has not failed (yet).

More recently bought a Springfield Armory 1911A1, plus a hand fitted match barrel. Yep, this is a much finer handgun, but I paid 2X than for that first 'cheap' gun, and it was still a good deal.

Maybe I got lucky on that Firestorm, you hear tales y'know, but the one I bought still fires every round.

Move up if you can afford it, but leave a little cash in your wallet for misc stuff that you get the 'wants' for. The rock island is probably in the middle of the two pieces discussed above.

Good Luck - Enjoy
  • freemantfreemant Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a RI last summer and have about 800 rounds through it at this time. Still seems very tight and I'm very satisfied with the gun. One of the better values for the money that I have done recently.

Terry
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    something to look at, all the "GI" 1911's have the low visibilty G.I. sights which are ok for plinking byt not that great for target and carry. I may be wrong but I do not know of any aftermarket sights that fit the rear dovetail cut and/or the front stake. So if you want something to carry, get an Kimber or Springfield Mil-spec(non GI models) which will cost in hte $450-$500 range. Because it would cost alot more to install a set of sights on the G.I. slide.

Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Beretta U22 Neos
    Ruger MK1
    Springfield M1903
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38