In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

model 12 winchester

plane_crazzyplane_crazzy Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a 12 ga. model 12 nickel steel barrel. #60360. In Madis's book Winchester Model 12 He claims this gun is "very rare and valuable collectors item." Can anybody provide more info about the value of this gun? Thanks

Comments

• plane_crazzyplane_crazzy Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems impossable to find an older model 12 in 20 ga. 26 in. barrel with cylinder or imp. cyl bore. Plenty of others around but none as described. are they that scarce ?.
    edited November -1
    WILL THE BARREL CHAMBER RING BEING WORN CAUSE THE SHELL TO STICK OR BIND WHILE EJECTING? I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 12 GAUGE THAT IS
    REALLY HARD TO PUMP AND THE SHELLS SEEM TO HAVE A SLIGHT BULGE.
    edited November -1
    I have a model 12 winchester that is in good condition. It has the rare nickel barrel. all serial numbers match. I would like to know how much it is worth.
    edited November -1
    I have a model 12 winchester with a 24 inch stainless steel barrel. the seriel # is 6824xx. it is in good condition. the gun has a few scratches but nothing major. the stock does have a few nocks in it. what is the value of this gun?
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Model 12 Winchester on the GunBroker site.
    I'm happy with the gun but I've come across a situation that I'm
    not familiar with. I cleaned the gun and dry fired to make sure
    it would cycle. Instead of being able to pump the gun like you should after a round is fired it would not release. I had to push
    the forearm forward just a fraction to make it release. I did
    not have a live round in the gun so I'm wondering if it would have
    released properly if I had actually fired a round. The nearest
    firing range is an hour away so I haven't had a chance to fire the
    gun.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    T.J.
    edited November -1
    Could someone tell me if a 12ga stock will fit a 16ga[?]A gunsmith told me it would fit. But all the ads I look at say its for 16.20.28. I need one for a 16ga but now i dont know what to buy. THANKS JAMES
    edited November -1
    I just traded 200 in labor for this shotgun, Ser#3288xx, 60-70 percent blueing with light pitting on receiver, 20 Ga., nickel barrel, wood is in good condition and the moving parts and bore are in perfect condition. What year was this manufactured.

Emmett
  • HOWBECKHOWBECK Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the bluing is gone and the barrel is not pitted with no rust
    and the wood is in very good condition it would be in the range of
    $250 to $350. Condition makes all the difference.

H.O.Caudle
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello plane_crazzy...

Well, the Model 12 you have was once upon a time a valuable gun... but no longer[:(]. Winchester never made (or offered) the Model 12 with a 24" barrel. This leads me to believe that the barrel on your gun has been cut down, and that is a crying shame. Stainless steel barrels are quite rare on the Model 12, and would ordinarily be worth a 300% premium over the standard nickel steel barrels.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PC, in your earlier post, I told you how to measure a Md 12 barrel. Again it's measured with the breech bolt closed, action slide handle all the way forward. You have to include the receiver extension and the portion that's inside the receiver along with the barrel chamber ring thickness. If you do this you should get anywhere from 25 & 3/4 to 26 & 1/8. Please verify. If you did actually get 24 inches, then you have a nice collection of parts. It's just a shooter with a $200-$300 value. Get back with us after you verify the barrel length. Regards Dave
    edited November -1
    sorry, the barrel is about 26 inches long thanks only winchesters.
    edited November -1
    Hello plane_crazzy...

We do not want an "about 26 inches long". What both Dave (only winchesters) and I really need to know, is what the precise length is. A 26" barrel on a 12 gauge (I am assuming that it is a 12 gauge since you haven't mentioned it), is rare in of itself. A stainless steel barrel is much rarer yet. In order for either one of us to provide you with any meaningful information about your Model 12, we need you to be very precise in the answers to our questions...

Also, what type of finish is on the the barrel? Can you provide pictures of it?

Bert H.

edited November -1
    PC: The reason we are being so picky, we are trying to figure out if someone cut the barrel. I've been looking, buying, selling, and shooting Md 12s for over 35 years. In that time frame I've seen 8 "Stainless Steel" guns. 2 right here on GB in the last year. Everyone has been a 30 in Full choke. So here you are with one that's a "26 in". What is the choke marking, Full.Mod. or Cyl? A quick way to measure it is with a dime, a dime shouldn't enter the muzzle on a Full choke. A Mod. choke will have just a hair on each side of the dime, A cyl, lots of play. This is just a ball park way to check.
    Let me put it this way if your gun truely has a 26 in barrel, with a Mod. or Cyl choke, there are Winchester collectors out there who wouldn't think twice about spending $1500 or so for it because it's rare!!! Again with the action closed just drop the tape measure down the barrel until it hits the breech bolt. You should get 25 3/4 to 26 1/8, Winchester had a large tolerance on the barrel length. If it fall within that range you have a 26in barrel. Regards Dave
    edited November -1
    from the muzzle to the front edge of the ejection port is exactly 26inches. the choke is full
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by plane_crazzy
    from the muzzle to the front edge of the ejection port is exactly 26inches. the choke is full

OK, that part is answered. Now, what type of finish is on the barrel? Does it have a black "painted" look to it, or is it shiny like a modern made stainless steel gun? How much of the original finish remains on the receiver frame? Can you provide pictures of it? Curious minds want to know[:D]

Bert H.

• gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the choke 'measure' full choke or just say full on the barrel.

"Each and every day of my life forces me to add to the list of people who can kiss my xxx...."
    edited November -1
    the barrel is not painted. it is shiny like stainless steel. the barrel measures to be full choke by the method described by only winchesters. the finish on the receiver is excellent. there is none missing, it is all there and well cared for.
    I will provide pictures as soon as possible, my lack of a digital camera will increase the time required.

thanks to all who are trying to help me
    edited November -1
    PC: What you describe, sounds good. The full choke is still present, (by using the dime check method). The barrel should be shinney, that was the main reason people didn't like the Stainless steel barrels the finish came off to easy. Like I said earlier, this is a rare Md 12. You just dont see Stainless Steel barreled Md 12s for sale, much less one with a 26 in. Full choke barrel. As stated earlier, there are people who love Md 12s who would pay a lot of money for that gun. Hope you got a good deal on it. Hope you can post some pictures soon. Regards Dave