In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

carburator cleaner

dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
In the past I've always used Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber ($8) to spray clean dirty acitons. I've noticed carb cleaner costs about $7 less. Anyone use carb cleaner?

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I have on numerous Occasions....Then I swab with Hoppes and finish with a light Oil and one dry Patch...Never had a problem...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    CletisCletis Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful It can take paint and varnish off. Brake clean is a little safer and dries quicker. The stuff that is non chloronated seems to work better. Apply a light coat of oil afterward as it removes all the oil.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I have used carb cleaner and brake cleaner to clean really nasty guns. Works almost as well as Gun Scrubber.

DON'T spray it on plastic, unless you carefully test it first. Even Gun Scrubber attacks some plastics.

Don't wear a ring or a watch when using. If the stuff gets underneath, it can be really uncomfortable.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only use it outdoors.

Unlike the usual solvents, which just give us cancer & cause birth defects, inhalation of carburetor cleaner can kill you on the spot.

Neal
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun scrubber and Brakekleen are one and the same. 2 differences though, the name and the price. One drawback to using, it draws the oil out of the metal, So use a good silicon base oil to make sure moisture is displaced.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and cautions. I look forward to "carefully" saving some $$. Over the years I've found Break Free to be an excellent moisture displacer/lubricant to use after using a cleaning solvent. No rust ever.
    Happy Memmorial Day to you all!

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it all the time, and have for years. The non-chlorinated works best, but watch it on the finish on the stock...it'll eat about anything 'cept maybe an expoxy finish. Great for cleaning the plastic streaks from shot cup out of shotgun barrels. Make sure to apply oil after use though.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Use a brake cleaner that doesn't contain methanol. Methanol is mildly corrosive to steel.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I like to store my guns with oil in the bore; before shooting I always run a patch with a few drops of gun scrubber down the bore to remove any oil. I too am now looking foward to saving a bit; works GREAT outdoors, I agree, but ONCE I made the mistake of doing it indoors, figuring 2 exhaust fans and an open window would be enough... wrong... it didn't kill me, but it gave me the mother of all headaches for a few hours.... be safe.

Jon

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you say that gunscrubber and brakekleen are one and the same..did you compare labels???? just asking because if i can use brake cleaner then it will save mmmme big bucks

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net