In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

s&w m&p .45 or glock 21

bearcat71bearcat71 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
Im looking to choose one for personal and home protecton. I would like to hear pros and cons from owners.

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Both are fine guns. I would say that a Glock is better if you want to add after market parts, as there are many more people out there making parts for them. The Glock IMHO would be slightly more reliable in adverse conditions, or if the owner is not keen on keeping the weapon well maintained. However, the Glock does not fit everyones had well due to the wide grip, while the M&P from S&W is somewhat adaptable. Both have good triggers, and both will serve well. I say try them out and see what fits you best, however for conceal purposes, you may want to look for something smaller.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'm with Wehrmacht_45, Buy the one that fits your hand the best. If you get one that does'nt it will be harder to control.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The gun that fits you the best is the best fit for you. Try them both on for size and see which one fits you the best. Make sure you try all 3 grip panels for the M&P as you do have that option. I would personally go with the M&P as it fits me like a glove with the medium panels, the glock on the other hand just feels akward in my hand. Your hand is different than mine so give them both a try and see which one fits the best.

Bryan: that is actually called the "SL", thank you for bringing that up, I nearly forgot about it.

Another thing I just thought about: The M&P 45 is also available with a ambidextrous frame mounted safety, that may be something your interested in.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Glock 21 is a little wide for you I think that the Glock 21 Slim line is out (I think it is the 21S). I am not positive as I have not looked for one.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The slim glock is noticeably slimmer than standard 45... I have small hands and hte slim fits much better...
  • Options
    Turbo72Turbo72 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you absolutely set on a .45? I Prefer my Glock 23 .40s&w cal. for my personal and home protection. I like the way it handles and fits my hand. I say give the .40 some consideration.
  • Options
    bigbob68bigbob68 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are nice but i will not go w/o my G21. It has proven itself to me time and time again and I have big hands. It even worked when the ejector broke and it kept going. I really like S&W but I am keeping my 21.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trust the revolver for two reasons..If you have a lady present in your home,you need to only teach her how to load,pull trigger and funamentals of safety..On the other hand,if one or both are awakened from a deep sleep,neither will be aware if the slide has been pulled to load the auto..With the revolver there is NO worry.just pick it up aim and fire,call 911 for someone to haul off the offending bleeding lump and go back to bed..Good luck in your choice,,hope it is the right one..modoc
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I have small hands and the Colt (surprise) Govt. or Commander both fit my hand better than most any gun Ive handled. Put a set of nice slim grips on and it is as thin as you can get. The .45 round is a battle proven, very potent man stopper.

...For slim grips you may need the short grip screws with the thin head for the screws to not bottom out and fit properly, no biggie; they are inexspensive and easily found if needed.

...With the short screws there is no need to have to change out the grip screw bushings; which is simple enough anyways.

As an added bonus, your Colt will only appreciate in value considerably even with shooting it as long as you don't abuse it, Glocks and others will only depreciate. The exception to this would be the Smith...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Bhogie.gif
  • Options
    bearcat71bearcat71 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help guys. You all have given me much to think about.