In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ER Shaw Barrels

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about purchasing this upper

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=35

doe's anyone here have anything good/bad to say about ER Shaw or their Barrels?

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks are not fond of Shaw barrels. Do a search here and you will find some, "I don't think they are as good as..." posts. Perhaps for competition they are not as fine as some, but if you are hunting they will do the job.

Der Gebirgjager used a Shaw barrel on a H&R 300 Ultra rifle to rechamber a .243 to .260 for me. On the days I can manage to do my part it is a moa shooter. All I can tell you.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most rifles I own (a .250 Savage on a commercial FN action) has a Shaw barrel on it.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned and do own six or eight of Shaw's barrel over the years. I have also owned several Shilen and Dougles barrels and aside from the brag factor I have not realized any real big difference. If I'm putting up a high end custom rifle on a nice piece of walnut I can't bring myself to use a Shaw's and will generally spring for a better barrel. For basic hunting or plinking I have usually found the Shaw's barrel to be more then adequate. I wouldn't use one a long range precision rifle either, but other then that you can't really go wrong with one. Good luck..
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't bring myself to do it[V] I have heard soooo many horror stories About long turnaround and ROUGH bores. Obviously that can be lapped to some degree,....for with labor being the same,...I would use just about anything else. FWIW, I have never used an E.R. Shaw,...but a quick search on customer testimonials will tell you why not. There are far too many barrels out there to buy one with a bad rep. I DID hear they had upgraded equipment and may now be producing much better products. IDK
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have all of the newest barrel production equipment available now, and make some outstanding barrels. Unfortunately the bad rep they got in their start up days, still hangs around their neck.
    http://www.ershawbarrels.com/normal.asp#
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a Shilen, Broughton or Lilja instead.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their rifled shotgun barrels are awesome, but ther regular rifle barrels stink. I use Shilen, Douglas, or Hart when I am building something.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you intend to shoot a target the size of deer shoulder at 100 yards buy a shaw barrel, that is all you need. If you intend to shoot ground squirrels at 400+ yards you need to pay for a quality barrel. You do get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    They have all of the newest barrel production equipment available now, and make some outstanding barrels.
    http://www.ershawbarrels.com/normal.asp#

ER Shaws newest rifling equipment
    barreling.jpg

[:D]