In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

11-87

Cloc54stunnaCloc54stunna Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have an old remmington 11-87 and I am getting into duck hunting. It was my grandfathers gun so want to use it, the only problem is the gun says to use only a 2 3/4 inch shells. my question is would this be a good duck gun and if i buy a new barrel for it in 3 inch will it work and be able to shoot 3 inch shells

Comments

• Options
    Cloc54stunnaCloc54stunna Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they make this in Left-Hand model?
    Remington 12 Gauge Fully Rifled Barrel w/Cantilever Scope Mount
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you mentioned in a second post, your gun is a 11-48, not 11-87.

You won't find a 3" barrel for your Remington 11-48, so 2 3/4" shells are your only option. I would not worry. Plenty of birds were killed in the 1950's with 2 3/4" loads.

Of course, they used LEAD shot back then. You gun was not designed for steel shot, but since the 11-48 is not a big bucks gun I'd go ahead. Good hunting.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Dont use steel. No sense in ruining an old classic, just because it is not worth a ton of money. Plus steel shells are loaded alot hotter in an attempt to give similar velocity at great distance to lead. Just buy some non toxic bismuth shells for waterfowl and all will be fine. These are great guns.