In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walther P38

jeandersjeanders Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have just acquired a Walther P38...Wondering if someone could help me date and appraise it with this information...
Left side: Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do
P38 Cal.9mm 818
003818 W9.72

Right side: 11/62 CAI GEORGIA VT.
Germany
W3.75 (Two symbols stamped, hard to tell what they are)

Front, just below barrel (Two sybols stamped, again, hard to tell what they are)

This gun is in emaculate condition...No rust or scratches anywhere...
Thanks in advance for any information...Paul J Nagy

Comments

• jeandersjeanders Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for info and an approximate value on a P38 a friend of mine acquired quite a few years ago.

The pistol is an AC41 and has matching numbers on the barrel, frame, and the clip. It is complete with what looks to be its original holster, cleaning rod, and an extra clip, (numbers on extra clip are different from the others).

The pistol is in very good to excellent condition with the only wear to the blue finish is a light fade where it made contact with the holster (while being carried ???).

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie
    edited November -1
    is there such a thing as an SS P38?I have a p38 family bring back with black grips and what appears to be tiny SS mark along with a makers code and eagle stamps on the side.
    edited November -1
    Is there a webb site that can give me some information
    on Walther P38s. Need to know values of AC 41 SS#9965
    and a byf 44 SS#9527 y. Any body on this site ?
    AC 41 is 80% and the byf 44 is 95%. Thanks...
    edited November -1
    Hi I just bought a walther p38 dated 1939. I read online that the 1939 models have a 0 in front of the serial number but mine is just 1171. Also the only stamp on the mag is jvd is this a original mag. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Walther P38 I'd like to sell. It has a serial number of 4913 W on various parts of the gun and to the right of "P38" the letters "byf" with the number "44" underneath. It has a couple of other stamps "WaA135" with what looks like some kind of bird sitting on a small circular Nazi symbol. I could upload some pictures if need be. The gun comes in it's original leather case stamped "P38" with an extra clip. Any info at all would be appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Liane
    edited November -1
    I recently came into possesion of a Walther P38 ac 43. From the looks of it the original owner had the thing nickel platted. That probably ruined the value of the gun. The gun looks hardly shot at all, the nickel job is very good and all of the serial numbers match. A local dealer told me since it was not original he was forced to rate it as Fair and would only give me $160 for it. Does this sound right?
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a P38 AC43 S/N 8xx it is in very good condition what would be an approximate value
  • gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't sure about that website, but, I know its a sreious hassle tryin' to find out that stuff. I don't even think a site could help,...what with differences of opinion/appreciation, regional trends, and weather a guy just likes it or not.
    There is condition, naturally, one or two line coding, accessories, etc, etc, etc.
    I see them from $325.00 for thin finish dinged up, to over $525.00 for good looking pieces here. Then there are those specials that go for more.
    What I usually do is to wait for a gunshow. Then show and ask 3 or 4 hunnert guys to get their opinion. Once in a while a respectable honest outlay might come thru that you can cling to.
    The usual theme is that it ain't just too desirable around here, whatcha gotta do is take it to Tulsa/ Las Vegas/ Cleveland, etc.
    Glad to have helped at being of no help.

Bob
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The site you want is www.p38forum.com.
  • mattsmilitariamattsmilitaria Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your AC41 is definately going to be worth more, since it is a Walther production, and is earlier in the war. The byf44 is the most common P38 out there. However I would need much more info to give you an accurate value of each. Just a ballpark figure would be $450 for the byf44, and $600 for the AC41. But that is just ballpark. It could be more, could be less. You can send me pics of each (which would greatly help) to me at- mattsmilitaria@juno.com

Are you planning on selling these? If so, I may be interested in one or both. Just let me know. Hope to hear from you!

Matt
    edited November -1
    mattsmilitaria@juno.com I can't get through to you
    please check out and repost...sent photos twice both
    time came back. jeanders@execpc.com
  • mattsmilitariamattsmilitaria Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry it took so long to respond. I don't always check out this forum. I am a moderator on another collectors forum. I just sent you an email, so hopefully I'll be hearing from you soon!

Matt