In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

742 Carbine accuracy

SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Got one in '06 with a 3x Weaver. Shoots under 1" at 50 yds. Can I get it better than that or is that about the limit for that style rifle? Haven't tried 100 yds, was just too friggin hot (95* w/95% humidity) the other day. Or should I wait till it cools off to fine tune this fine firearm?

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I feel you on the heat. I went shooting the other day for about 30min and was wringing wet when done, and I was in the shade. My buddy has a 742 Carbine and he's been able to get his to 1" @ 100yds with Winchester Supreme 150gr. "Ballistic Silvertips". I don't know if the rifle is capable of better than that or not, but he was satisfied with the results, and that is well within the perameters of what his is used for, deer hunting <300yds. Keep it cleaned and oiled and you'll have a good, handy sized hunting rifle.

Ps. Definately wait until it cools off, hot = sweat = rust! [:D]

Ben
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine has been a consistent 1" to 1 1/2" @ 100 yds for the past 20 years or so. She wears a 2x7 Leupold and serves me well. It definitely is not a bench rest tack driver, just a darn good huntin weapon. Enjoy

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing