In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

firing out of battery

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
What does this mean?
Thanks,
DSM

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firing before the bolt is fully closed.
    Your Universal is fine, don't worry about it.
    Bill
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    That means you are about to eat some parts. A firearm needs to have the action closed and locked before the fireing pin hits the primer . If you could picture a bolt action rifle with the bolt handle in the upright position and the fireing pin hitting the primer the act of the cartridge going off would slam the bolt back toward the shooters eye. In say an auto pistol and the fireing pin gets stuck in the forward position then it would fire the cartridge before the barrel locked into the slide . all types of guns have some way of making sure the action is completely closed be fore you can release the fireing pin .If this fails the cartridge can rupture or worst.
  • Options
    aliasalias Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It means the weapon will touch off a round before the bolt is locked. I, personally, have never met anyone this has happened to. I did, however find a site (no link though,sorry) where a guy claimed to have had a Universal M1 carbine fire out of battery and remove its own bolt. From his description of the event it could just as well have been a hot reload. He also claimed that USGI carbines would fire before the bolt was completely locked. Like I posted before, I never had trouble with my Universal M1, although I would guess I have only fired 1000 rounds or so through it. I don't reload, and 30 carbine is just too expensive for me to plink with and too impractical for anything else. If anyone has documented evidence of this phenomenon, especially including pictures, I would sincerely appreciate a link to the information.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I own a Universal..and shoot it.

Seems some people hear something and repeat it endlessly..with no proof, nothing to back it up at all.
    Yes, some of the after-market carbines were not up to the high expectations of some people that regard a military weapon as 'quality'...but the ones I have looked at were as good as the Mini-14 that so many brag about.
  • Options
    phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I was getting nervous.
    DSM
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have have a Universal M1 that in my opinion is junk. Two problems 1. very sloppy made parts can't shoot a clip full without a jamb, 2. every so often it has went full auto until it jambs usually 4 or 5 rounds very nerve racking when you don't expect it. Only universal m1 i have shot maybe just a lemon.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heard of it, and not unlike most of these urban legends never actually seen it! The Universals are not the prettiest girl at the dance, but they do the job. My guess is that if there is ANY validity tothese statements, there was a lot of parts swapping going on by unqualified owners. Recently saw a Cobray go while OOB...very interesting. Except to the guy standing next to the Cobray owner (the dudes' best friend)who wound up getting a few fragments in his kidney and I'm sure a newfound interest in quality manufactured guns!!
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Cobray that would fire out of battery when I foolishly tried using a hell-fire trigger device on it. It happened three times before I got smart and removed the device. Never again will I try to rapid fire a Cobray.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that's what that young man said after catching hot brass and copper in the midsection! This one was not modified in any way and was in fact only used a few times (he claims about 250 rounds total) befor trying to maim it's owners buddy. Get what you pay for in most cases!