In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44mag 41mag 480

jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
opinions on the peformance of the 41 vs. 44 vs. the 480 ruger trajectory reoil ammo availibility please

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    41 mag will come close to doing what the 44mag does,with less recoil, its harder to find and cost more but is a very good all around carridge
    480 is a heavy round made to fit between the 44mag and the big/hot 475, 500, has more recoil than the 44mag , cost more , shells are harder to find , but it has less recoil than a 454 , great gun if you want the big bore without going to the expense of getting a 475 or 500 ,

also its(480) coming out in some of the single shot rifles so you could have a rifle /pistol combo
  • Options
    jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    thanks for your help
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have each, except not a 454 any more.
    I don't know if it was the geometry of the gun, or what...But the 454 I had was a witch to hold on to ...even with good grips.

I find that reloading the 44 fills the bill for me. I like the 480 for the big pills, but it is a bit bulkier (Rugers).

If I can't do the job with a hot 44, I have to get the long gun.
    44 ammo is probably more available in smaller stores.
    ENJOY !
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reccomend the 454 Casull. Really stout performer, and yes, it will about tear your arm off with heavy loads (actually, I don't find it to be THAT bad). Having said that, you can practice with 45 Long Colt which will cost a bunch less with all the Cowboy stuff out there now, and save the pain oriented shooting for when it really matters...looking at that big Whitetail in front of your sights!! $54 is still more avialable than 480, and 45 long colt has become less costly and more available as well. If you want something really scary, try the 'ol 475 or 500 Linebaugh...those will rattle your teeth!