In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bent Vent Rib

texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have found that somehow, without my knowledge, the vent rib on my Remington 870 Special Purpose has been bent. About 5 posts from the receiver, the rib is bent to almost touching the barrel. Must have taken a heck of a lick to do that. This particular gun has a Parkerized finish. My question is, how can this be fixed? Is it a simple process of just bending it back, or something much more involved?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be gentle with a medium screwdriver. Vent ribs don't take a whole lot of effort to bend.
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texas,
    Some vent ribs can be taken off and slid right out in one long piece. See if that's what can be done. Then you can straighten it on a bench without fear of popping another rib off and sliding it back on and anchoring it.
    If not go tailgunner's way. It's foolproof. He said be gentle. Them's good advice
    JK
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put a small "C" clamp on each post either side on the bend to keep the rib in place. I use a small wood shim to raise the bend. Go slow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good advice - thanks to all. guess i have been lucky for almost 40 years to have not bent one.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    like duckhunter said use the (padded) clamps, but i like to use two (2) scredivers (one from each side) to weg the rib up.
  • Options
    kieperdkieperd Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownell carries a vent rib tool, made by Murray I think, for about $35 that straightens ribs and works great. I bought two Remingtons at pawn shops very cheap due to bent ribs and now you have to look carefully to see where they were once bent.
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several versions of vent rib straighteners exist - works like a puller only putting force on the rib each side of the dent towards the barrel and force away from the barrel where the dent is located. These tools are the best way to fix the problem and the least chance of damaging or loosening barrel/vent rib any more.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kieperd
    Brownell carries a vent rib tool, made by Murray I think, for about $35 that straightens ribs and works great. I bought two Remingtons at pawn shops very cheap due to bent ribs and now you have to look carefully to see where they were once bent.

Kieperd is right ... here's the link ...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8754&title=VENT+RIB+TOOL

Hope it works for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great! thanks for the link Feenix!