In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A military issue scope?

NorCalMattNorCalMatt Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know what type/brand of scope is currently issued or widely used by the US military on the M1A/M14 sniper-rifle versions?

I have seen numerous pictures and videos of our troops using M1A's as semi-auto sniper weapons over in the mid east and wondering what type of scopes they are using, as I am in the market for one myself.

Thanks.
- I posted this on the GD forum with no results.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X40 LR/T M3 Telescopic Sight is probably the most common. It is the one with the illuminated reticle.

CP
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NorCalMatt,

Currently, the scope is what cpermd described. If you are looking for a past application, the ART or ART II were used. When I was in, the snipers used the ART II(Army). Prior to the ART scope, it was what was left over from WWII and Korea. Some that come to mind are the Redfield 330 and Lyman Alaskan, as well as a Weaver 10X. There was a wide variation of standardization because so many had to be produced. To my knowledge the Marines never used the ART or ART II scopes. This is not necessarily fact, I just haven't seen it documented. -just some ideas for you as how you want to scope your rifle.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I just talked to a friends grandson who is an Army sniper that just got out of Ranger school. He just got fitted for one of the new rifles about a year ago that has the new Unertl on it. He didn't want to give up his old 40, but you do what they tell you to do. I think he said the old scope was the Leupold.
    As far as the M-21's I didn't even ask him if they were using them anymore. Dam. I don't know when or if I'll ever see him again. That rifle is near and dear to my heart, but I'll put my Fulton up against any of the older M-21s.
    The new commerical ART scopes really match the military version closely.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you cant touch a m21 with a fulton. trust me on that one. i shot and worked on 21's. its like apples and oranges. btw...the 21's are still issue to usmc/navy specops.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Well I didn't glue my action into the stock but don't knock the Fulton untill you've tried it. I have shot the 21 with an ARTII and a barrel that I forget the name of. It had three triangles as the company stamp. Who were they Bobski?