In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle Calibers, I have many Favorites

SBaumgartnerSBaumgartner Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
[:D]Yes many rifle calibers exist. I have weeded my way through many of them for hours looking at Ballistics. You could say that "all the calibers" are in a race to the 500 Yard Line. The one's I chose shoot very fast and straight, have the smallest bullet drop at 500 Yds.
My 3 Favorites in this category are:
257 Weatherby Mag. 115Gr. BST Vel@ 500 Yds.= 2357
270 Weatherby Mag. 130Gr. Barnes TSX Vel@ 500 Yds.= 2382
300 Weatherby Mag. 165Gr. BST Vel@ 500 Yds.= 2361
I shoot very well with these 3 calibers and the Weatherby line is very remarkable for its accuracy. But its not enough to have a quality rifle, you need a good scope as well. I chose Burris Black Diamond for 2 of them. Leupold MKlV for the other one. I like the fact that I can put groups of shots in at 500 Yards and have the groups be within a 3" circle. Very satisfying.
Other Rifles I own:
Colt AR-15 223
Winchester 1894 30-30
Marlin 444
Weatherby 30-378 Mag.[B)] Lots of kick..
Remington Model-798 243
My most Accurate rifle is a tie between the 257 Mag & 270 Mag. If I could only take 1 rifle hunting and it was for deer only? I'd take the 270 Mag. For bigger Game such as Elk, I'd take the 300 Mag.
For Wild Boar I take the Marlin 444. For Bear(Grizzly) I'd take the 30-378 Mag. * From my experience you want your hunting rifles to be "stainless" or "Parkerized" Because weather does damage the rifles.
I have 3 rifles that have regular blue finish and I'm always wiping them down with gun oil rag.
What is your Favorite Caliber and why? or do you have more than 1 Favorite like I do?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have always enjoyed using the 250 3000, 7 MM Mag and 7x57 Mauser.

Nostalgia maybe.

Sage 1
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I cannot say that I have a favorite cartridge, or for that matter I can not say that I favor any of 50 different cartridges. I just love guns and the ammo that goes with them. Many people like to try different types of rifles so or you have the people that will buy just bolt guns or just autos. I'm like that with ammo; I need to have every type of gun that shoots every type of cartridge. I love the history and stories behind the ammo as much as the accuracy and ballistics.
    I also do not except only the cartridges that are made up by the factories as I have a profound love for wildcats. It doesn't matter if they were designed by Frank Barnes (458X1 1/2 Barns), Bill Eichelberger (10 Eicheberger Pup), Dan Dowling (22 Waldog) or John Jongmans (729 Jongmans), I love them all and they all have a place. I also have cartridge designs running through my mind constantly as I am planning on doing a full line of wildcats based on the .500 S&W magnum and .460 S&W magnum cases. So I have a favorite type of steak (Ribeye) and a favorite type of ice cream (Boysenberry Cheesecake), but no, I can't say I have a favorite cartridge.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19

I also have cartridge designs running through my mind constantly as I am planning on doing a full line of wildcats based on the .500 S&W magnum and .460 S&W magnum cases.

You better make sure that nobody has a Patent on the S&W 500 or 460 S&W case design. That is part of the problem with the WSM cartridges. Winchester infringed on the Patent design that Rick Jamison has on the WSM case. Not just the WSM case specificly, but the case demensions.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    308 for deer.Accurate,easy to handload,plenty of power for what I use it for. 223 for other critters for above reasons.Good for everything from crows to 'cans.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:quote:
    Originally posted by Mk 19

I also have cartridge designs running through my mind constantly as I am planning on doing a full line of wildcats based on the .500 S&W magnum and .460 S&W magnum cases.

You better make sure that nobody has a Patent on the S&W 500 or 460 S&W case design. That is part of the problem with the WSM cartridges. Winchester infringed on the Patent design that Rick Jamison has on the WSM case. Not just the WSM case specificly, but the case demensions.

They wouldn't be marketed, I would only make them for my own personal amusement. After all I doubt anybody else would want a T/C Encore chambered in .375-.500, but then again maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    SBaumgartnerSBaumgartner Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For MK19,
    [:D] Yeah! RibEye Steak is the BEST and I just had one - just now as I got on the computer..What kind of luck is that?
    Great comments all..!
    I shoot critters with the 243. with a 75 Gr. BST works very well.
    In the Marlin 444 I use only the Hornady 265 Gr. BT
    30-378 Mag I use the 180 Gr. Accubond
    So far...I have only shot paper or beer bottles with my 223. It has a Simmons 6X24-44 scope mounted. Beer bottles are "toast" at 200 Yds.
    [:)] Steve
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 favorites amongst the 30+ calibers I own/reload for. The list starts with the venerable 45-70. Nothing covers the range of power applications it does and from a parent round over 130 years old, it has staged more comebacks than Howard Stern. I like to paper patch for my Sharps replica, and the other end of the spectrum is the Marlin GG I had reinforced...really gets attention slinging 455 grains of lead at around 1900fps. Second is the Hornet. I have a fond place in my heart for the little guy. Quiet, economical and accurate, it has aged gracefully, and with the various improved rounds it has spawned, a really reliable number. Third is the 225 Winchester. This is a "dare to be different" thing. It won't do anything the 22-250 won't do, and it won't do it more accurately, but I really like it and have found a few "recipe's" that make it a world beater in my eyes. Out of a good single shot, it is clearly superior to the 22-250, but it will never achieve any more noteriety than it already has as it is almost dead except for us dedicatged few and the guys who shoot the BR wildcats it has sired.

I should put in a few honorable mentions for the 7x57 Mauser, the 6.5 Swede and the 7.5 Swiss...all seminal designs and also favorites of mine.

So there you have it...the ravings of an obstinate reloader who never liked to go along with the newest and best things down the pike. Dare to be different, or dare to be stupid...make your own call there!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite cartridge is the .257 Roberts. My favorite rifle is a custom Mauser. I've shot everything from the 17's on up to the .458 Win Mag. I don't enjoy massive amounts of recoil though. So, I stick to the .257's, 6.5's 7x57's etc. And, my favorite little round to shoot is my uncle's Win 43 in .218 Bee.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first rifle was an Arisaka customized and barreled to .257 Roberts by Flaig's of PA some 50 years ago, and my last rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye in the same chambering that's been with me less than a week. The latter is destined to become my favorite rifle in my favorite caliber. Ruger really got this one right; bead blast blue, steel trigger guard and floorplate, slim and trim but not too light. Nice wood, well checkered and attention to details like the same bead blast finish on the rings and torx screws on the same.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me know when your ready to leave the world of "pop guns" and start playing with real rifles. [:D]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,
    Don't hold your breath! The older I get the quieter my guns get. Partly due to a reduction in bore diameter and case capacity, and partly due to a steadily declining ability to hear anything.
    I shudder to think of the nice artillary I could purchase with the cash that I'm now paying for hearing aids.
    [8D]