In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rifle shipping case

RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am relocating to another state shortly and am going to actually drive some of my most important stuff, guns is one of such things. I have a number of rifles and am trying to figure out the best way to pack them since i only got a couple of soft cases just for local transportation. Does anyone know or can recommend a place or a company that sells/makes foam lined cases that can hold about a dozen of long guns?

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Sneaky,.......you're everywhere!
    Yes, you can find very high end cases for that purpose, but they cost big bucks. If that is what you want, I can likely find the link, but if I were you, I would go to WalMart, and get however many you need of the hard plastic Doskosport,......that cost about 12 bucks. When you finish your move you can sell them, and recoup most of your money, and keep the number you want.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Hey Sneaky,.......you're everywhere!

hence the handle [;)]

quote:
    Yes, you can find very high end cases for that purpose, but they cost big bucks. If that is what you want, I can likely find the link, but if I were you, I would go to WalMart, and get however many you need of the hard plastic Doskosport,......that cost about 12 bucks. When you finish your move you can sell them, and recoup most of your money, and keep the number you want.

yeah, i thought of that, but for convenience i am willing to spare a few bucks on a case that'll hold all of my long guns. besides, i'll be staying somewhere overnight i wouldn't want to leave anything in the truck but hauling a bunch of conspicuous cases to a motel room also isn't very wise.

anyways, i just thought maybe someone knew of a good method of doing something like this and could share [:)]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is, that many rifles makes any kind of case REALLY heavy & difficult to carry. You might be able to use a camp trunk, & cushion the rifles with either foam or blankets. Trunks always have handles at both ends for carrying, or you could take a hand truck.

Neal
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    The problem is, that many rifles makes any kind of case REALLY heavy & difficult to carry. You might be able to use a camp trunk, & cushion the rifles with either foam or blankets. Trunks always have handles at both ends for carrying, or you could take a hand truck.

Neal

+1

The weight really would be an issue. A dozen long guns at 6-9lbs. each, you do the math.[;)][:)]

They sell hard cases that will hold 4 (maybe 5 un-scoped) rifles, but they are WELL over $100 each and probably wouldn't be feasible. Wally World sells a cheap single gun case for around $15 and a double case for around $30 (I think they still carry that size).

However, if money is an issue, I'd go down to my local U-Haul store and buy a couple of their biggest boxes and "make" me about 3 cases holding 4 each. Yhat's really all you want to put per case due to the weight factor. Bubble wrap them up then make a box the right size for them to fit in snuggly. U-Haul,s biggest packaging boxes are already the right length for long guns. Good luck.

Ben
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Can always build your own out of plywood with a foam interior. That way you could custom size it to fit your needs. Either latches or locks to hold it closed and you can get a handle fairly cheap at the hardware store. Or if heavy a handle on each end for two people to carry.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner