In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TERNI 7.35 Cal. 1939 Rifle

Doug ErnestDoug Ernest Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Help,Could someone tell me the origin of this rifle.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Italian Army Rifle. Click on this link http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/ it will tell you more then you will ever want to know about it.
  • Options
    WillRussWillRuss Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That M38 carbine in that caliber was only made for two years (1938-39). If the receiver has an [SA] stamp, it was sold to the Finns by Italy to fight the Russians. Like this...
    Carcano7.jpg

The Germans then absconded with a lot of them as they withdrew from Finland and many were distributed to the Volksturm to fight the allies. Those rifles have an interesting history!

The "correct" leather sling and folding bayonet would also each have an [SA] stamp. The sling is rare but can be found. The bayonet is REALLY rare and usually costs twice as much as the rifle IF you can find one.

Also, don't try to shoot old 1939 ammo through it. Most that old stuff is no good. You can find new ammo on the web.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ditto on all of the above; it is a solid, well made rifle. Mine shoots about 3" groups at 100y with handloads, all you can ask for from a carbine with such crummy sights I'd say. They aren't smooth or slick or terribly well finished, but they aren't junk either.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were sold by Kleins of Chicago for about $15 and considered as juncque along with the Italian 6.5s and Japanese service Arisakas.
    I believe JFK was alleged to have been killed with one.
    Some were rumored to have been converted to 8mm Mauser
    Nowdays people collect anything include these previously considered low quality guns.