In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SOCOM vs AR-10

CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am saving for my first (post WWII) Military Style rifle. I am firm in wanting .308. What do you guys think of the SOCOM vs the AR-10? I am leaning toward the SOCOM as I have several military M-14 mags and am assured that they will fit the SOCOM but not the AR-10.

And if you prefer the AR-10, which mfg would you choose?

Thanks for the advice!!

Comments

• MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    If you already have the mags go with the M1A, but if you change your mind and want an AR-10 look at an armalite.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not a real m1-a?
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because I do not know the pro's & con's of the M1-A vs the Socom. Please...enlighten me!!!

quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    Why not a real m1-a?
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Skip both and get a FAL...
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you lose alot of performance and long range application when you pay extra to cut off that 6" of 7.62 tube to make it look cool.
    The m1-a is my favorite rifle, socom compromises what it does well to try to make it into an entry weapon, which I have Ars for
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the Armalite AR10 alot and I own a Springfield M1A Loaded.

First, your M1A mags can be modified to work in the AR so they may come in handy regardless or your choice. Obviously they will work as intended the SOCOM.

Each is dependable and I don't notice much difference in accuracy. The AR will take all sorts of add ons & is easier to conventionally scope. The M1A feels more a part of me when shooting, the AR does not - I think that has something to do with the AR's pistol grip set up as opposed to the M1A's standard stock.

I think the SOCOM has the forward scope mount and that's a great arrangement on this type of rifle. I have a Mini 14 with forward mount scope and although they look ugly as hell it works great.

Then again I think the FAL beats them both.
  • justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a basic black Springfield M1A for 10 years and just bought an Armalite AR 10T. It took a lot of money and time to accessorize the Springfield and it still has scope alignment issues due to the mount system. The Socom version is shorter and is not going to be much more than a a 400 yd. weapon. They say they'll shoot 1000 yds. but they won't do it with consistant accuracy. The Socom is also heavier than an AR10.
    As for the Armalite, it's easier to clean, easier to modify and easier to shoot. The .308 round will thump your shoulder no matter the platform, but in my opinion, the AR 10 produces less felt recoil. If you have a few SA mags, they are easily modified if you choose the AR10 but its always a good idea to use brand-specific mags.
    Bottom line is your choice, but if its your first heavy caliber rifle AND if you have any familiarity with AR's, go with the Armalite.
    Good Luck.
    John
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well..I already have a Rem 600 in .308, a Marlin 30-30, and a POS Arisaka that still shoots so recoil isn't a major concern. I doubt that I will be doing much in the way of run and gun at my age and (hrmph) stature. I want the .308 because I prefer the round to the .223 should I ever have NEED of the weapon. I am now leaning toward the M1A if I can figure out where to get one and what to look for.

Thanks for all of the advice. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!