In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt cylinders?????

hp289hp289 Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a 2nd generation Colt in 44 Special. If I track down a 44-40 cylinder, can I just swap out the cylinder and shoot it? Also, what can I expect to pay for a really nice cylinder? Does it have to be 2nd gen or will a 1st or 3rd interchange????? Please only respond if you are positive about this swap. THANK YOU.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the first and second GEN are the same and use a bushing the third Gen is different. However like any firearm parts the cylinder and hand need to be fitted to work together so as not to spit /shave lead as well as head space needs to be adjusted it can be made to work but most likely not just a DROP IN fit
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, does it matter if it's an early black powder cylinder or later smookeless one? I'm sure I'll shoot smokeless 44-40 through it. How can I tell the diff? thanks,
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow I would go for a 2nd gen I forgot there were some black powder first gen guns in 44/40 (I would think that any first gen cylinder with any original finish would surely be smokeless powder proofed but you raise a good point.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Givette here: .44 spl/44-40 same bore diameter?? I can't nail it down, but there's a light blinking in the back of my mind about differences. Joe
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a first gen converted to 44 spl. and found an aftermarket Christy 44-40 cylinder that went right in, yet a new, unfitted 44 spl cylinder wont.
    Expect some fitting will have to be done in addition to a new cylinder bushing.
    U.S. Firearms in the old Colt facility will make and fit a cylinder for your Colt.
    Colt used the same bore for 44Spl & 44-40 and also for 41Long & 38-40.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you tell the diff between a black powder cylinder and a smokeless? Does it even matter? What is smokeless powder proofed? Also, the reason I think this can be done is because I remember seeing some 3rd gen sheriffs on gunbroker a while back that came new with a 44 special and a 44-40 cylinder from the factory. Any more advice??????? thanks.
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44-40 was ,426-.427 44spec. is .429 125 to 150 will get you a cylinder but it's hard to get 50 lbs. of sugar in a 5 lb. sack .003 is not risk I'd take with a Colt.1st gen cylinders were as small as .424 at the throat as well( I've seen it).I know nothing about the newer stuff,Might all be .429 now.Good luck
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few thousandths oversize with lead bullets at low velocities is no big deal. However cylinder throats matched up with bore diameters shoot better. Upsize them if they are undersized.
    I have a letter from Elmer Keith on that if you're interested.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help guys.