In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions about C&R application

drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple of questions about the C&R application and was hoping somebody could offer me some insight.

First, I don't quite know what to do about the question regarding the applicant having worked somewhere that sold guns. Yes, in the last forty plus years I've worked a couple of places that sold guns. Most of them are out of business; in fact, I can't even remember the names and addresses of most of them. My concern is that if I'm honest and provide as much truthful information as I can, it will somehow be a detriment to getting a license.

Second, what should I do about my own address. I have two places and the one that is the most secure, where I will be keeping the collection and receiving packages, etc, is not my principle residence, at least not now.

Third, who exactly is my cleo? The place were I will be storing the collection, etc. is in a small township that has its own police force and there is a "chief of police." However, that township is in a county which has a sheriff, and while the county sheriff is not the boss of the township chief of police, throughout the county most of the small local CLEOs defer to him. Complicating things a little more is that fact that my principle residence is in city in the same county that has its own CLEO who definately does not defer to the county sheriff. So, to whom do I send the letter? My thought at this point is to send it to the township CLEO because he is the CLEO where the items will be kept. I've already called the federal folks and received no help. Thanks for your thoughts -- Steve

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a C & R for about 10 years.

First, I wouldn't overly complicate the "CLEO" procedure. Many people have local PDs, Sheriff Depts, etc. Whoever can reasonably be considered a "CLEO" type at your residence should get a copy of your application. Sounds like that's your basic Chief of Police. Remember, you are simply informing your CLEO of the federal application, you are not asking his permission to apply.

Where you used to work is really not important. I worked at a gun store 30 years ago & doubt ATF cares one way or another about it.

You can list two separate addresses, that is, your residence and the address you'll be receiving C & Rs. I believe the place you receive guns is referred to on the form as the "premesis" and your residence is referred to as your mailing address.

While accuracy & completeness is important, I don't get the sense ATF is going to overly scrutinize the form as in "Aha! Steve didn't list that summer job at the Rod & Gun Club in 1973 - DENIED".
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insult. If I every meet anyone who worked at a Rod & Gun Club in 1973, I'll pass it on.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drsck, I have read the whole thread and I can't find anything that I would call an insult. Please explain to us what you consider an insult in the thread. Respondents have taken time to answer your question and the answers appear to be responsive to your question and useful.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve, I get the impression you were kidding about the insult.. I could be wrong.

I would go ahead and state that you worked however many years ago at a place that sold guns, and that you cannot remember the name of the place. I doubt it would cause a problem. They would likely look at it and move on.

Remember, You are providing information under penalty of perjury, so I would be as truthful as you can and let them sort it out.

As far as you CLEO is concerned. If you call the cops to report a crime, who comes out? I would list the top dog of that agency. As dsf said, your not getting his approval, your only mailing a copy of the application to his office. In most medium or large size agencies, he probably never sees it anyway. It probably gets "filed" away by a clerk.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    drsck, I have read the whole thread and I can't find anything that I would call an insult. Please explain to us what you consider an insult in the thread. Respondents have taken time to answer your question and the answers appear to be responsive to your question and useful.

+1 plus he answered in great detail. anything else, was probably construed as sarcasm (which i got [;)][:D])
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel

+1 plus he answered in great detail. anything else, was probably construed as sarcasm (which i got [;)][:D])

Correct - and it was a jibe at the guys reviewing the application certainly not at one of our fellow forum members. [;)]
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    I have got to ask you, why if you provided truthful and accurate information would it be a detriment to you getting a lisense?