In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Triple 7 vs pyrodex.

pscgradpscgrad Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a TC Omega 50 Cal. muzzleloader when reading the owners manual it states not to use anything other than black powder or pyrodex. I was told by a friend to use triple 7 pellets. Is this wrong? What do you use and why? Help me out I would like to sight it in this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triple 7 is a new substance, so most owner's manuals do not include it. However, it is an acceptable black powder substitute. Be careful, though, as it has higher energy than pyrodex, so use a smaller amount. It should give you values on the package as to what is what equivalent of black powder or pyrodex. Pellets should be already balanced, so don't worry about that, but if you use loose powder, measure carefully. Let me know how it works for you.
  • Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an Omega last year, and I called T/C about the Triple 7 and they told me that 150 grains in the Omega was just fine. I shot 150 grains ( or 3 50 gr pellets) and a 200 gr Hornady SST in my 45 cal and it shot wonderful!!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only is 777 a good substitute for black powder, it is a lot easier to clean up than bp or pyrodex. It is a little harder to ignite, most people who use 777 love it.
    Why buy pellets? They are 4 times as expensive as the powder and if your rifle likes 85 grains, too bad if you have pellets. Get the powder and a powder measure.
    Start off with 70 grains of 777, shoot a few shots, move up to 80 grains, shoot three shots, then move up to 90, see which is most accurate.
    A hundred fifty grains of 777 equals about 175 grains of black powder, that is a hell of a charge. Most guys use around 100 grains.
    You have bought one of the best muzzleloaders ever made. Good luck!
  • Options
    birdhunter88birdhunter88 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a T/C Omega in a 50 cal.

I use Triple 7 in the pellets with a 145 gr Powerbelt bullet aerotip and wow are they accurate. Cleans up with just water. I use the pellets and pay the extra price because I like the convenyance(sp) of the pellets over the power... no measuring... just drop in 2 pellets load a bullet and let her rip. Run a spit patch and then a dry patch between each round and the bullets will set properly each and every time.

Good Luck
    bird

The dog will prove you wrong everytime !