In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

winchester .223 wssm

dnnsalesdnnsales Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering purchasing this rifle. What are your comments on it? If you like it or don't, let me know why.
Thanks
Dave

Comments

• groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    What can the 223WSSM do that a 22-250 or 220 Swift can't.....other than generate an inordinate amount of barrel heat very darn quickly? Yes it's short so it can use a shorter action....somehow I've never been overcome by the fact that I had to pull a bolt 1/2 inch further to cycle it! Accurracy??? The 22-250 actually saw duty on the BR circuit in it's early days! I don't think the WSSM will unseat it in the accurracy dept! And just how dead is dead? I'm thinking a varmint hit with a 55 grain VMax at 3700 vs being hit with one at 4000 is still going to be pretty much the same! DEAD! The WSM's and the SAUM's will both outlive the WSSM's! Save your money or buy you a quality 22-250 or even a .223! Easier to find brass and there have been many,many,many volumes of reloading data compiled for them! That's my thoughts on the WSSM's! And we didn't even discuss but one of them! The 25WSSM has got to be one of the biggest marketing screw-ups in history! Why not the 25 WSM? Would have at least equaled the 25-06 in performance! Not so with the shorty! Again, just my thoughts and opinion....kinda like something else most of us have except an unlucky few! GHD
  • vegasbljvegasblj Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a 220 swift or 22-250. Lots more ammo available. With the wssm your stuck with winchester ammo only. I have also herd they are burning up the barrels real fast. I know of a gun shop that just had remington custom build 500 .220 swift rifles in stainless steel with a classic stock, and a custom serial number. They are one sweet rifle. but thats just my $0.02

ben
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    If you don't want to work that bolt the extra half inch with a 22-250, just buy a Ruger #1. Yes that cartridge will push that bullet a little faster, but at what price? While it is nice to have the latest and greatest, in the gun industry the new things just don't seem to go over that good, unless it is a great improvement. One such example I believe is the 45 GAP cartridge. You will get a few more looks at the gun range with a strange cartridge, but most just fade away after a few years, then ammo really gets expensive. What happens if you go on an expensive hunting trip, and the airline loses your ammo, but the rifle comes through ok? If it is 22-250, I know of lots of places to get ammo, but not 223WSM.
  • BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would have to agree with most of the above comments
    i just purchased a .270 wsm . in my eyes the .270 wsm and the .300 wsm are going to be around for a while . but i have heard that the wssm are not doing to good in sales . i would recomend a 22-250 like mentioned . and as for now winchester is the only one to make this round . but the wsm's first year they were the only on to produce it too , now federal makes it ! i like the federal loads too ![:)]btu that is a different subject . i consider the wssm to be too fat and they will limit the capacity in the magazine . go with the 22-250 .

just my opinions
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've said this before but feel it bears repeating. The only reason to go shorter on overall length is to improve the efficiency of the powder column burn, and at that, I think picking up speed defeats the purpose. Check info on the Whisper cartridges and the 308x1.5 Barnes...reduced speed and much lower powder charges actually will, with the right bullets, improve the long range performance when compared to "faster" rounds. Great comparison is the 50 BMG to the 50 Whisper. The ft lbs at the muzzle is no comparison, but once you get out to 600 yds., the numbers atart to equalize. Weigh that against the amount of powder used to launch the 2 roundsand you see the REAL advantage of a short case. These "slow" rounds also have the added advantage of being suppressable as well, if that appeals to you.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    1KYDSTR, I don't think this guy is looking to "suppress" anything! And for that matter it would be somewhat of a problem and defeating the purpose to try to "suppress" a 22-250 or a Swift! The short fat powder column burn is still on the discussion board also. Mr Palmisano and Mr Pindell created quite a stir back in 1975 or so with their "PPC's" and they have done well enough that the IBS ought to change their name to the "PPC Fraternity"!! However there is still room in the real world for "long, thin" chamberings![:D][:D][:D]GHD
  • dnnsalesdnnsales Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for your input. i think i'll take another look at 22-250 davequote:Originally posted by groundhog devastation
    What can the 223WSSM do that a 22-250 or 220 Swift can't.....other than generate an inordinate amount of barrel heat very darn quickly? Yes it's short so it can use a shorter action....somehow I've never been overcome by the fact that I had to pull a bolt 1/2 inch further to cycle it! Accurracy??? The 22-250 actually saw duty on the BR circuit in it's early days! I don't think the WSSM will unseat it in the accurracy dept! And just how dead is dead? I'm thinking a varmint hit with a 55 grain VMax at 3700 vs being hit with one at 4000 is still going to be pretty much the same! DEAD! The WSM's and the SAUM's will both outlive the WSSM's! Save your money or buy you a quality 22-250 or even a .223! Easier to find brass and there have been many,many,many volumes of reloading data compiled for them! That's my thoughts on the WSSM's! And we didn't even discuss but one of them! The 25WSSM has got to be one of the biggest marketing screw-ups in history! Why not the 25 WSM? Would have at least equaled the 25-06 in performance! Not so with the shorty! Again, just my thoughts and opinion....kinda like something else most of us have except an unlucky few! GHD
    edited November -1
    thanks ben i did hear about barrell problems.im re-considering 22-250 ,all signs point me that way. appreciate your$0.02 dave quote:Originally posted by vegasblj
    I would go with a 220 swift or 22-250. Lots more ammo available. With the wssm your stuck with winchester ammo only. I have also herd they are burning up the barrels real fast. I know of a gun shop that just had remington custom build 500 .220 swift rifles in stainless steel with a classic stock, and a custom serial number. They are one sweet rifle. but thats just my $0.02

ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigGameHunter42
    i just purchased a .270 wsm . in my eyes the .270 wsm and the .300 wsm are going to be around for a while . but i have heard that the wssm are not doing to good in sales . i would recomend a 22-250 like mentioned . and as for now winchester is the only one to make this round . but the wsm's first year they were the only on to produce it too , now federal makes it ! i like the federal loads too ![:)]btu that is a different subject . i consider the wssm to be too fat and they will limit the capacity in the magazine . go with the 22-250 .

just my opinions
    edited November -1
    a 22-250 will probably be my choice. seems im not alone with that thanks BGH dnnquote:Originally posted by BigGameHunter42

just my opinions