In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Street Sweeper Shotgun

CletisCletis Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is the street sweeper the only cylinder feed shot gun? I saw a shot gun today that looked like a Street Sweeper but it had a full stock. Did'nt pay much attention to it because the guy wanted $800.00 for it. Now I'm thinking I should have paid more attention because I don't know who made it. I thought they had to be registered as a destructive device, Are they still available?

Comments

• allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know little of what these are, except what I've read. For the most part they were heavy, clumsy, and as Mark C. has said, the quality was iffy until the Striker. I think they are known as clockwork magazines and are loaded somewhat like a Thompson drum, with a key, but one round at a time. The early ones did not eject, so had to remove the spent shells, again, one at a time. Why they were so fearful is beyond comprehension as any Mossberg 500, Rem. 870, or Benelli with extended magazines would be far superior in ease of use, speed of firing, reloading, general reliability.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the Striker was designed & manufactured in South Africa, where it was favored by prison guards & security forces. It's heavy weight, high capacity, & ability to fire 12 rounds accurately as fast as you could pull the trigger gave it a great deterrent effect. The US-made Streetsweeper was a lower quality (& price) clone.

The problem with the wound flat mag spring is that, if it breaks, you are out of business. Since you are unlikely to find a replacement today, a broken mag spring might leave you with an expensive paperweight.

I don't think that any pump can match the effectiveness of this design, but the Benelli & SPAS semi-autos (& probably a couple of others) are close, & a lot more practical.

There was no logical (or legal) reason for declaring the Striker/Streetsweeper a destructive device; just another Clinton initiative to use the JBT's for political purposes.

Neal
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that cobray.com has a few parts yet for the street sweeper...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cletis,
    Im not sure if you are referring to a gun manufactured for a drum.However I do know that there is an aftermarket setup called the sidewinder that can be ordered for mossys,rem and winchester it takes box and drum magazines.Its a pretty cool item.

AC Tactical
  • ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the striker, but the street sweeper had an aluminum cylinder, probably to save weight. It shoots great with low powered, field loads. Problem was, if you put anything in it that was high brass or had some power to it, the shells would stick in the cylinder and you played heck trying to get them out. Only 2 3/4 shells as well. It is fun to shoot with field loads though. Some of those short aquilla shells would probably be a hoot too.
    Ahankster