In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

303 to 308 safe or not?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
I got a No4 Mk1 and its chamberd in 308win. I've been told the presure that the 308 produces was to great for the receiver to handle is this true? I plan on having a Gunsmith look at it before it ever gets shot. And will a 303brit magazine fit and work for one in 308?

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat

Comments

• 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Enfields were indeed chambered for the lower pressure 303 cartridge and I would have to think that this would be a less than ideal conversion. Where was the conversion done? Is it perhaps in Ishapore altered gun? Was it rebarreled also, because if this is not the case, I would expect less than ideal accuracy potential, and at least a little bit of gass blow by for the 4 thousandths difference in bullet diameter.

As far as the magazines go, I wouldn't think the two rounds would be handled interchangeably as the 303's rimmed base is significantly larger than the 308's rimless design. Couple this with the large difference in overall length and you will have a 308 rattling around inside that big Enfield box mag.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    The Enfields were indeed chambered for the lower pressure 303 cartridge and I would have to think that this would be a less than ideal conversion. Where was the conversion done? Is it perhaps in Ishapore altered gun? Was it rebarreled also, because if this is not the case, I would expect less than ideal accuracy potential, and at least a little bit of gass blow by for the 4 thousandths difference in bullet diameter.

As far as the magazines go, I wouldn't think the two rounds would be handled interchangeably as the 303's rimmed base is significantly larger than the 308's rimless design. Couple this with the large difference in overall length and you will have a 308 rattling around inside that big Enfield box mag.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)

The Indian Ishapur's were purpose made for the 7.62 x 51mm/.308 Winchester. They were "No. 1 Mk 3*" pattern. Supposedly made of a better grade of steel, because of the higher pressures generated by the .308.

I personally would be very wary of a "No4 Mk1" reworked/rechambered? to .308 in light of the above information, concerning how the Ishapur's were made.

luger_4.jpg
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll have more info on it pretty quick. Starting to look like a restoration job.

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I BOUGH ONE OF THESE WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT AND SHOT IT SOME THEN. THE ONE I HAVE IS MADE BY ISHAPUR, FOR THE 7.62x51 NATO ROUND, FAIRLY WELL MADE AND SHOOTS WELL WITH MIL SPEC. AMMO. I BELIEIVE .308 WIN. (SAAMMI SPEC.) IS LOADED TO MORE PRESSURE AND USES THINNER BRASS THAN NATO BALL SO THAT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM. MAGAZINES DO NOT INTERCHANGE.