In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

legal length

scarybarryscarybarry Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited June 2004 in Ask the Experts
Howdy from Texas, folks. I have a question. What is the MINIMUM legal length of a SHOTGUN. I know the barrel has to be 18", and I know you can have a pistop grip along with that barrel, (in fact I have a Win. Defender with 2 pistol grips that is pretty short), but I'm wondering if there is a shortness of OAL you can't go below. I would surely appreciate your opinions! Thanks, Barry

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it's 27 1/2", OAL.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Rufe, if I remember correctly, it's 26.5" just like the rifles, but it has to have a barrel >18" instead of the >16" req. of the rifles

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    This info is from the NRA link to Texas Gun Laws.

Apparently Texas uses the same stipulations of the National Firearms Act.

It is unlawful to possess ...short-barreled firearm(s) ... Includes a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches and overall length less than 26 inches or a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches and overall length less than 26 inches.

AND A big HOWDY from CALIFORNIA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, folks. Here is another puzzle. If a person buys such a firearm on GB, and finds that it's length is 24 1/2", what does that person do? If this person bought an illegal firearm, then I would think that it would be illegal to switch ownership of that firearm, even to return it to the previous owner. Here is the case. This shotgun has a bolt and barrel that are 1 solid piece. To open the action, you push the bolt AND barrel FOWARD about 5". They lock in this position, which is cocked and on safe. This allows the gun to be loaded from the right side. A shell is placed directly into the chamber. This is when this gun is at it's longest length, about 25 1/2".(This is with the retractable stock pushed IN.) When the trigger is pulled, the barrel and bolt fly BACKWARD together, pushing the shell against a fixed firing pin, and firing it. At this point, the gun is 5" SHORTER than when in the open bolt position. In other words, when the gun fires and is at rest, it is slightly over 20" in length. Is this legit? I don't want to get Big Brother involved, but I'm a little concerned. I hope this explains what I'm talking about, as I don't have the means to send pictures. Thanks again for your thoughts. Maybe it's lawyer time! Hope not. Barry
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scarybarry,
    I dont think you will get much herassment about 1/2" out in good old TEXAS.However out here in commi. california they would probably sentence you to death.[:D]

On a more serious note,I noticed you mentioned a telescoping stock,could this be replaced with a fixed stock or pinned in the open position.that is if you are really worried about it.

You could allways soak it in cozmoline,dig a hole and save it for a rainy day.[;)]

AC Tactical
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scarybarry, what kind of gun is this? It sounds interesting, but also illegal. Has it been modified or does it look to factory original? Before NFA took effect in 1934 some companies made firearms that were shorter than the now legal 26". As far as what HKman said about the Texans not caring about the legal length, that may be true, BUT the Texans have nothing to do with that law. It is a federal law, and I know for a fact that the BATFE could really care less what state you live in, it is contraband. I would contact the seller, and explain that he sold you an illegal item and that you would like your money back. Contact GB if that doesn't work.
    Jess
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Barry here- Moose, it is an unusual and interesting gun, which is the only reason I like it. It's a Cobray Terminator, in 12 guage. From what you x-purt guys have told me, it started life in 1986 as a Atchisson assault shotgun, but was derailed before they could be built. Having piles of unused parts they didn't want to take a total loss on, Cobray turned them into the most bizarre open bolt shotgun I have ever seen. I don't think they made many, mainly due to the fact that they serve almost NO purpose, except to look mean. It does that well. It's not junk. It is built like a tank, and is incredibly heavy. The spring that powers the barrel assembly is huge, as it coils around the barrel, and is about 14 inches long. If carrying this chunk of metal around doesn't get to you, cocking it will. As far as length, I had a typo earlier. With the gun cocked, it is a little over 24 inches. With the bolt closed, it is a little over 21 inches. I know, it's confusing! I do know it is NOT modified, as I have the owner's manual. As far as pinning the stock, or trying to replace it, I won't bother. I like it short, just not enough to go to jail over! Thanks again, Barry
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would send a detailed description in a letter to BATF & request THEIR opinion (the only one that counts) of the legality of this gun. They have files on just about every gun made, & I am sure that this will not be the first time that they had a question about this particular gun.

If it is legal to own, you will then have documentation of this fact in your hands to prevent any problems with the law, or in selling it if you ever want to do so.

If they advise that such a gun is contraband, you can request that the seller give you a refund. He's NOT going to refuse. There's a paper trail leading to his door, & he won't want to get a visit from the fellows with the bulges in the cheap suits.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nmeyers-excellent advice. I don't necessarily want to return this gun, just due to it's uniqueness, so I'll get it documented that I can have it. If I can't, then at least the guys in suits can at least tell me if I can ship it back to the seller without exposing myself to their wrath. I appreciate you, and everyone else, giving me your opinions. Much Obliged! Barry L.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF says the gun must be 26 inches long. This gun is 24 inches at best.
    This is an illegal shotgun.
    If you notify ATF about this gun, you will be admitting that you are in posession of an illegal shotgun.
    I like HK mans advice about cosmoline and a hole in the ground.