In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

proper charge

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm getting started in muzzleloading, and so I bought pellets instead of loose powder. Consequently, I'm stuck in 50 gr increments. When I go out for whitetail this fall, should I load up with 100 or 150? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO It depends on cal. and lenght of barrel 100 will be more then it takes to kill a deer If you ever shoot a black powder gun with snow on the ground you will find unburnt powder when shooting 100 gr. and short barrels . You cant make your rifle a 458 winchester mag buy putting in more powder . is you have use of cronograph use it and check results. quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pyrodex and Triple-7 pellets come in both 50 grain and 30 grain sizes. This will enable you to vary your charges somewhat.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, it's a .50 cal, 26" barrel, and I made the mistake of buying 50-gr. pellets, instead of 30's. I can't get a cronograph, so should I just do range tests and pick the one that works best at a chosen distance? Thanks
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and try 100 grains. This is a very popular load, most .50s shoot well with it. Lots of guys who use loose powder wind up shooting 100 grains, even when they could shoot 90 or 110.
    Definitely start with 100. I would be reluctant to go up to 150, usually that is too much. If 100 doesn't work, get some 30 pellets, and try 80 and 90 grains.
    Or do like me, get a powder measure and buy a pound of powder. Lots cheaper.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the manufacturer of the gun and ask what it was designed for. I have a thompson center black diamond in 50 cal. I was shooting 100 grain (2 50 pellets) with a 240 grain hornady xtp sabot round. I could not get it sighted in, I hated the gun.... I emailed T/C and they said to switch to a 300 grain bullet, the gun was designed to shoot them. I killed a 4 pt, a 7 pt and a very large 8pt, and one little doe with it this year, I am starting to like it more......

muss
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the manufacturer of the gun and ask what it was designed for. I have a thompson center black diamond in 50 cal. I was shooting 100 grain (2 50 pellets) with a 240 grain hornady xtp sabot round. I could not get it sighted in, I hated the gun.... I emailed T/C and they said to switch to a 300 grain bullet, the gun was designed to shoot them. I killed a 4 pt, a 7 pt and a very large 8pt, and one little doe with it this year, I am starting to like it more......

muss