In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Laminated Hardwood Stock?

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Okay, my patience is wearing out. No one makes a hornet with a stainless steel -- synthetic stock option. So I may have to bite the bullet and go for the Laminated Hardwood Stock in a Ruger (and get the trigger replaced etc.) Does any one know if there are drop in synthetic stocks available for Ruger 77-22? or if not what do you know about the weather/moisture resistant characteristics of the Laminated Hardwood Stock? They sure are ugly!

Waiting to hear from all you guys that know everything.[:D]

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scout, I have had about 35+ years experience with laminated stocks. I have yet to have one cause me any problems. They are as weather resistant as wood could possibly be and still be wood. Gunsmith friend of mine took one of a german 98 that a client wanted stock with "real" wood--a german wood stock he had found at a gun show. Friend threw the laminated stock on a wood pile out behind the shop where it lay in the sun, rain and snow for about 4 years. Young man comes into his shot and wanted a laminated stock for his mauser. Friend remembered the stock he had throwed out back,retreived it and gave him the stock for free. It was a mess. Young man took the stock home, sanded it down good, refinished it with Tru-oil and brought it back to the shop to show it off. It looked great and he said that it shot as well as it looked. I personally will take a laminated stock any day over synthetic--but that's just my own taste. Laminated's only real drawback is weight and you can take care of that if you know how.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't like looking at the synthetic stocks, but do use laminate stocks on several rifles. They wear, and I have had zero weather problems (though I do live in the desert and hunt pretty dry mountains). Take a look at the offereings of Boyds www.boydboys.com They offer several configurations and they really are drop ins, though glas bedding is not a bad idea.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I said this before, so if I am repeating myself...my appologies! The new Savage 40 is chambered in 22 Hornet and 223 Rem. I recently had the chance to shoot one in 22 Hornet and it was a dandy little varmint gun indeed. It is a single shot bolt action and comes with no sights thus has provisions for scope omly. The laminate stock on the one I shot was a very attractive (or, as attractive as a laminate gets!) coffe toned one and had really excellent ergonomics.

I think you might want to try Bell and Carlson for the synthectic stock if you are dead set on a Ruger with the synthetic furniture.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like them , they are different than the normal wood stocks used , but still look good . they are just as durable to the synthetic stocks too !
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with synthetic stock has made me replace all theose that I had with laminate or dump the rifle. The usual problem was the forearm flexing and pulling away from the barrel no matter how I bedded em. This goes double for the Bell n Carlson stocks that Cabela's sells. With the laminates I have had no problems at all, generally straight and true no matter the temp or mositure. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who will say they've had no problems, I'm just relating my experiences with them.
  • freemantfreemant Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say that my experience with synthetic stocks has been exactly the same as ern98. I started to replace with laminated wood just for the increase in performance but now I actually prefer the look also. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Terry
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Now I just have to decide if that Ruger trigger has to go. Sort of strange to be looking for a gun that requires rebuilding before you start.

I called Browning to see if they made their A Bolt in a stainless Hornet, but nope.

My dream gun? One with no rust and no warp and still be on after bouncing around in a pickup truck or ATV in my environment where it can be +110 in the summer, and -45 in the winter and lots of condensation in the cab of the truck. Maybe it could double as a crow bar or jack handle as well[:D]

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scout, I shot a Ruger with a timney trigger kit that made my factory trigger seem like a bad dream. Trigger like glass, and about 1 lb. I think I'm going to put one on my model 77R in 6.5 X 55mm.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have Timneys on my Rugers. Trigger about $80. Put in one myself, and paid $20 to have a smith do the rest. Well worth it! You can do it but is is something of a pain unless you have machining equipment. They break like a glass rod, though mine are 3.5lb.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plains scout,

If I was looking for something to have in the front cab of a truck and use on a four wheeler as well, here is what I would suggest.

191551.jpg

Striker Series
    Model 503R17 FSS Sport
    Caliber .17 HMR
    Overall Length 19"
    Barrel Length 10"
    Weight 4 lbs.
    Magazine Capacity 5 rounds
    Stock Black, ambidextrous synthetic grip.
    Sights Scope bases installed.
    Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 9"
    Features Stainless steel, bolt action, left-hand bolt/right-side ejection, free-floating and button-rifled barrel with detachable Magazine.
    Suggested Retail $335.00

Yes, it's a .17 HMR and it will do everything that the Hornet will do, with less fuss. The barrel length makes it easy to use coming out of the cab and when carried cross draw on the ATV it will be ready far faster than a rifle ever could be. Cheap to shoot and very accurate as well. As you can see, it is stainless steel with a synthetic stock and comes with scope bases installed. The magazine makes it easy to unload and keep safe inside your the truck yet fast to load and reload if you want to carry a spare magazine.

Here is the 40 VarmintHunter from Savage mentioned above:

191558.jpg

It is blue but I usually take paste wax to my fireams anyway. Even stainless steel rusts, ask the guys from Alaska. If it gets wet, wipe it down dry and later add a new coat of paste wax. A little prevention will add years to the useful life a firearm.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Yes, it's a .17 HMR and it will do everything that the Hornet will do, with less fuss.

You have got to be kidding?

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat