In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weatherby 300 mag recoil

boltthrowerboltthrower Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
Any recommendations for a good butt absorber for a weatherby vanguard 300 magnum?

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boltthrower;
    go to "www.midwayusa.com"
    enter *.#699-899

if you reload, tayloring a mild load is an option.
    only as a last resort should one consider altering the gun itself.
    the Past Shield in the link above is an assesory that will go with all your guns & make range practice more fun. when shooting in the field, you won't notice recoil.

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The main thing to remember when shooting a high recoil rifle such as this is do not shoot in the prone position, and if possible, use a scope with a little extra eye relief. If you do these two things then it won't hurt as bad.
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boltthrower, I have a Weatherby 300 mag also, mounted on a pre 64 Winchester model 70, and seeing as how this rifle is all original, it even has the steel butt plate. And to be honest with you, if you hold it really tight while sighting in, it makes the recoil much less felt.
    If that does not work for you, look in the Brownells catalog for a recoil reducer. They have a good variety of them, and they all make a huge difference when you are sighting in. If you can stand it, it really is a great caliber to shoot! I love mine, and shoot it as often as I can.

Good luck!

BigBarn[:o)]

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "limb Saver" or "kick eez" pads absorb the most. A break works better however.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that helps when shooting a "boomer" (300WBY isn't big enough to make that class BTW) is to sit with your back streight up and waist relaxed, pull the rifle into your right shoulder with your right hand, and with a firm grip on the forend PUSH forward with your left arm. This helps to spread the recoil force over both shoulders & upper chest, instead of concintrating it into just the right side.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never taken apart a Weatherby, so I can't tell you if this will work or not: if you have a hollow stock, you can fill it with sand, as a last resort. I would advise you to take the advice of everyone else, but if you still need something, it might work.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sims Limbsaver makes grind to fit recoil pads that are excellent. I used one on my Sako Warbird and it was amazing how much difference there was.

If you are looking at a muzzle break I would recommend the David Gentry muzzle breaks. They are designed to have very little noise increase to the shooter (1 decibel increase with your caliber gun).

As for Boomers, recoil is in the eye of the holder. If it can hit you in the eye, it is a boomer. I have known many people who have been scope ring victims by smaller rifles than yours.[B)]

Mad Dog
  • Options
    DixieriderDixierider Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 700BDL 300Win mag, I could handle the recoil of the gun, but the barrel rise was something I couldn't get used too, would never get a follow-up shot if needed, started looking at muzzlebreak's as an option, found www.answerrifles.com "see the red mist fly" is part of there motto, the muzzlebreak and recoil pad has tamed the beast, less felt recoil than a 243, no BS, I'm not kidding for $200.00 it's the best value for the money
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis
    I use a 3-9 Leupold on my 416Rigby, and have never been hit by the scope (on it or anything else). Does that mean I need a bigger rifle?[:D]
    Most cases of "scope eye" are preventable by using proper technique.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner: You just need a 338 Ultra mag at a bad angle. I never had a problem with any rifle until I got the Warbird. Tagged me three times but only once left a bruise (thanks to my childproof Schmidt & Bender scope). My cousins however have been cut twice in a row when they went into the Ultramag catagory. When you weigh in at 165 and shoot a rifle with high recoil, buck fever can split your eye open twice in a row.[8D] Both of my little cousins had it happen. When my cousin sold his ultra mag to a retired Marine sargeant (Big Bad Dude) he did the same thing.
    Anyways, after I switched to the sims limbsaver pad, I never had a problem and even my little cousins can shoot it too. Makes it nice when you can focus on the deer and not worry about proper technique.[;)]

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    High-Tech Customs brake is a better brake and a better buy. They are in Co Sp, CO.

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska