In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.300 whisper..t/c comments for 50/60 m w/tail gun

stevekstevek Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
any thoughts on this one as to bullet selection for eastren w/ tails, close range? was thinking 130/150 sierra, no more than 50/60 yards. have used 44/ 357 at these ranges w/ 100% sucess, but have no experience w/ this one.

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stevek;
    check on 150 grain flat nose design bullets made for 30-30 use. these should be a little lighter jacket & softer core because they are designed to expand at approx. the velocity you will be shooting. the flat point also should add some initial shock/knock down. flat point bullets won't do as well at long range, but you state use at reasonable ranges at which they should do well.
    working up a load is part of the fun, good luck & safe shooting.

Jim

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    stevekstevek Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds good, will try this , accuracy first. bullet selection sounds good, just have to play w/ powders. thank you.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hesitate to reply because what suggestions I make, don't have a lot to do with the 30 caliber version of this wildcat family. I am especially keen on the 270 caliber and some years ago I built a 270-221 (essentially a 270 Whisper) on an xp-100 using a virtually new barrel (16" long) from another project that for one reason or another, didn't work out. I throated it so that the 130 grain Sierra SPT flat base bullet was seated about 3/32" in the case. I calculated a load that I thought was safe, and after forming cases shot for accuracy. This is one of those flukes that occur sometimes and the first load gave me 1840 fps with just under an inch at 100 yds. for 5 shots. Never changed a thing until my 7 year old Grandson decided he wanted it so we put a left hand thumbhole stock on it for him. On a good day he can shoot around 1 1/2" for 3 consecutive shots. What I was going to suggest was perhaps the Sierra 135 gr. 30 cal. pistol bullet or the 125 gr. FPHP rifle bullet. I have no idea what the twist of you barrel is so the lighter bullets may not stablize, especialy if it is rifled for the heaiver bullets. I'm not sure what the pressure limitations for the TC would be, but I think you should at least be able to achieve 1800-1900 fps with the lighter bullets. Plenty of energy for white tails at your stated ranges. I doubt that you can achieve sufficient velocity with the heaiver bullets to have reliable terminal performance. Found H-322 to be very good in my (Grandson's) gun.

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!