In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotguns with thumb safety

dedeladededelade Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a manufacturer that sells a 12 gauge, semi-auto, 3" or 3 1/2" shotgun with a thumb safety. So far Mossberg is the only gun manufacturer that I have found that makes what I am looking for. I am not to fond of a Mossberg. Anybody else know of another manufacturer. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Thumb safety located...??on the top of the tang? Your not talking a push bar safety correct?

...Whats wrong w/a Mossberg, is it only that the safety tends to break? The only problem Im aware of with their tang mounted push/thumb safety is that the little rocker ball located underneath the safety push slide is that it is made of a polymer and is prone to breaking.

...For a few bucks you can buy a steel ball and replace it yourself in minutes, and that one, won't break. A shotgun nut will chime in anytime and rattle off others that has the safety you speak of Im sure...Buy a Citori or Red Label and be a happy camper...[^] [;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Bhogie.gif
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I shoot left handed so I like the "on top" safety much more than the others. I've shot the blueing off of two Mossberg 500s but my Browning BPS is a much nicer pump gun and has the same type of safety. For upland birds I have a Ruger Red Label that also has an "on top" safety. I wish the barrel selector was not incorporated into the safety but it is still fun to shoot.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    You may consider having the safety converted for left hand instead of on top. Most semi's I've shot have the option of the safety pushing left or right (at the trigger guard). Check the brand you want with the factory or your local gunsmith, and I believe you will find it's an easy conversion.
  • Options
    dedeladededelade Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the input. You were all helpful.