In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corrosive Primers

krw1103krw1103 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
OK...a friend wants me to get him some 7.62x25 ammo at the H'burg gun show tomorrow. He says he doesn't want reloads or corrosive primers. Since there will be quite a few tables of ammo, I want be sure I get the right stuff. I can get it from AMMOMAN.com for $219/1000 so I'll see if I can get it cheaper at the show but want to know exactly what to avoid.
I can spot reloads easily enough but I can't remember which type of primers are corrosive and which aren't.
Help me...help me.

Mudge the uninformed

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

Comments

• Options
    krw1103krw1103 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last night I was in a discussion with some other members of our fire department, and two of the guys were saying that factory ammo is now being loaded with primers that will deteriorate in 1? to 2 years to keep us law abiding citizens from hoarding ammo. Has anyone else heard about this rumor?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    No. Go back to the same two persons, and see if you can get a reference, anything substantial, like a link to a source, from them. If they can cite a reliable source [highly unlikely] post it to the general discussion forum. Most likely the two persons heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, etc.

And you did good, by coming here to "nip the rumor in the bud". Best, Joe
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was a red hot rumor about 13 years ago. I am still loading ammo with "real" primers hoarded then and bought from the late shooter's estate.

I think it arose from the fact that early lead-free primers had short shelf life and the conspiracy theory that the antis were doing it on purpose. They are better now, approaching standard styphnate primers.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wouldn't be practical either. A lot of people only shoot during deer season and don't sight in their rifle every year. So even if they take 3 or 4 shots to kill a deer one box of ammo will last about 5 or 6 years. If the primers were only good for 2 years then the ammo manufactures would be getting WAY to many complaints and demands for replacements. And who knows how long some ammo sits on the shelf before it's bought. Simply put it would be bad for business and such a big pain in the butt that the manufactures wouldn't want anything to do with it.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm on the same box of 300WM I bought 10 years ago. Last two will be used next year.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way I can think for an ammunition company to go out of business. Have your friends think through what would happen if somebody got killed defending themselves with "out of date" ammo The lawyers would go nuts.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way I can think for an ammunition company to go out of business. Have your friends think through what would happen if somebody got killed defending themselves with "out of date" ammo The lawyers would go nuts.