In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Preferred Tactical rings/bases

easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I hope JustC and Guns & Glass give an opinion here.

I want a solid mounting system for a Rem 700 (not Picatinny) and an AR15-type flat top (Picatinny rail is used). What is your opinion as to a reliable mount system on a rifle that will get bumped, not babied, in the varmint hunting fields?

There are Badger Ordinance, Leupold Mk IV, Warne, etc.

I understand some is preference/appearance. I am more interested in performance and performance value for the buck.

Thanks, Brad

SEMPER FI

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the 700 my advice is Leupold One Piece ... they can take a beating.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the 700rem,..Ken Farrel would be first if price was a concern. His one peice tactical is around $50. For sheer strength and lower height off of the receiver,..then either badger ordnance or IOR Valdada tactical bases and rings. I have the IOR tactical on my 308,..and the rings and bases are superbly machined,..however you can figure on about $230 for the rings and bases,..badger ordnance will cost the same.

Most all tactical mounts made now days,..will also be picatinny spacing just because the military and LE guys are already familiar with that style and it has been proven to be tuff as well as interchangeable. The picatinny spacing allows scopes to be removed from any rifle and installed on another without removing the rings,...that is the reason most tactical set-ups will maintain the true picatinny spacing.

The warne rings and bases are very strong as well,...just not quite as strong or machined to the tolerances that the IOR, or Badger products.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a fan of the Leupold 1 piece mount. Plenty tough and kind of in the middle of the equation price wise. Also easier to get at more places and you might even be able to price shop them a little...the others (Badger, IOR, etc...), nice as they are, are a one price, like it or leave it proposition most times!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was helpful and I will go with a one-piece 'dual dovetail' Leupold for the REM.

Wow, I had not priced the IOR or Badger systems. Did not know they were that much. I believe I'll get something less expensive and add a lapping bar from Brownells...

Thanks guys!

SEMPER FI
  • HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey easygo6,
    I just thought I would add my two cents. I have a rem 700 heavy barrel VS. I installed the leupold 2 piece camber lock system.It is very solid and will run between $75-$85 for base and rings.

P.S. if you are planning on installing this yourself check the length of all of the screws. The shortest screw should be put in the second hole from the front.You may already know this but the rason is that hole leads into part of your bolt lock, if you install a screw that is too long your bolt will not close all the way.hope this is helpful.

AC Tactical
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not familiar with the 'camber lock' system. Is this a dual dovetail, or the Quick Release (QR) rings with levers?

SEMPER FI
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are concerned with price,..I would take a good hard look at the Warne bases and rings. You can be up and running for around $75. I do have a set of the new Leupold PRW rings (made by warne for leupold) on a Ken Farrel 1 peice tactical base and it is a super set-up. The PRW rings are very strong,..ergonomicaly designed, and use the cross-slot for strength. The Ken Farrel base is CNC machined from a solid peice of STRESS RELEIVED steel, making if an almost perfect match to the receiver. Of all the Ken Farrel bases I have had my gunsmith install when my projects were being completed,..he says he has yet to see one not match up to perfection. This set-up can be had for about $85. Dovetail mounts are prone to failure on rifles with any amount of recoil. We have had 2 sets go bad on us within the past year. Once that dovetail wears out under the recoil,..you can only find out by taking the scope out of the rings,..this allows you to wiggle the bad ring with your fingers,..but you won't ever know it when the scope is in the rings which prevents you from doing so. I am in the process of replacing ALL of my remaining dovetail systems with cross slot systems.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    easygo6,

I know that it's easy to parrot what someone else has already posted but in this case, I think that it's important.
    quote:Dovetail mounts are prone to failure on rifles with any amount of recoil. We have had 2 sets go bad on us within the past year. Once that dovetail wears out under the recoil,..you can only find out by taking the scope out of the rings,..this allows you to wiggle the bad ring with your fingers,..but you won't ever know it when the scope is in the rings which prevents you from doing so. I am in the process of replacing ALL of my remaining dovetail systems with cross slot systems.

I not only agree but I have replaced all of mine as well. I am aware that the cost of these things is quite high, the term 'Tactical' adds between 30% and 50% to the standard cost of a product, but you need to weigh out cost against function and longevity. Both JustC and I would hate to tell you what this replacement has cost us. Shop around for some of these other suggestions and do some comparison reading.

Trying to be helpful...

Best.

Also, take a look at these:

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/about_us.htm

And Ken Farrell's:

http://www.kenfarrell.com/