In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.380 auto

lonz42lonz42 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a quality 380, don't mind buying used. Leaning towards a Beretta 84. I have shot the Walther and didn't like it. What about one of the CZ models?

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The PPK/S is my favorite. It's a plinking gun up to 70-120 rounds. As a CCW, it's tops.

The AMT DAO 380 Backup is an excelent pocket gun. If you buy one used, sent it in to High Standard to make sure no one clipped or substituted the springs to lighten the trigger pull. The single-action model is thinner, but I'd stay away from it.

The Beretta 3032 is decent, but with the tilt barrel, a little wear can effect a small fissure between the feed ramp and the chamber.

A Colt Government 380, basically a miniature 1911, is a great, slim, light, carry gun. I hear break-in must be done to ensure reliability if you plan on CCW'ing with it. That's a SA model. The later "Ponies", etc, some were DAO. Parts might be scarce on the later models if they had only a year or two of production.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is the best bang for the buck.

Choosing a .380ACP comes down to two things:
    Range use only? [SA is fine]
    Plinking and CCW? [I'd go with a true DA/SA, meaning a DA that will strike the primer with EVERY trigger pull].

As you mentioned, there are a couple excellent Beretta models in .380ACP
    You might want to run a box of hot ammo through a used gun before buying it [Corbon].

Addendum: Sorry, I forgot to mention P232. 100% right out of the box.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You don't say what you want it for which would be helpfull to assist you.

If you want compact for concealed carry, I really like my Bersa Thunder .380, I have had it for a couple months now and it seems to be a very dependable little gun. I have had no problems at all with it. $250-$300 price range new

If you want ultra compact a good choice is KelTec P3AT. These also seem to be very reliable little guns. I don't personally own one of these, but I have came across those that do, and they like them. My only problem with the KelTec is because of it's small size it doesn't fit my hand well. But even with that I will be getting one pretty soon, just because I can easily carry it in my front pants pocket. Price is range aprox. $275-$325 new.

The Beretta and the CZ from my understanding are also quality guns, but I'll let someone with real experience with them answer about them.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my Bersa .380 Thunder as well - . Tell me, what is it you don't like about the Walthers. I was thinking of picking one up!
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If used will work, check out a Colt Government model in .380. Neat little gun and reliable. They are getting a little pricey for a good one.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to find a Star 380 at a good price. They are one of the few that fire from a locked breech. I also have an early Beretta that shoots very well. If you want a double action the Browning DBA is good.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the Makarov's are chambered in .380.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2 favorites are the Colt Gov't pocketlite and the Beretta 84. For weight and ease of carry I would take the pocketlite. The Beretta is a little heavier but has a higher cap (13+1). I have heard nothing but great things about the Bersa but since I have never owned one (yet), I cannot comment. Like what was stated above it depends on what you want it for. In my case The pocketlite is better for the ankle holster and for concealability. Reliability is 100%. The Beretta being a hi cap is a little harder to conceal but is a good gun. Also 100% reliability.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Sig 230, well made, the ultimate of .380, but it is a little heavy in today's world for a concealed carry, but it is probably the besst one out there for quality. Never had a Bersa, but look good, espec. for the price. I do have a KelTecP3AT. The size and weight makes it my anytime, anywhere, always carry. The trigger takes a little to get used to and you do need to fire a couple hundred to assure reliability (which should be done anyway), but price, concealability,quality and size, it makes it an 'always' because there really is no excuse not to carry it. The Makarovs have a big group of supporters, so I'm wondering why I haven't grabbed one up yet.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You will not go wrong with the Beretta. I have a friend that swears by his Llama .380. my 2 cents [8D]
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    If you decide to go with a Makarov. Get the 9x18 instead of the 380. Better ballistics that way and you won't have to worry about someone messing the gun up on the conversion job.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CZ makes one gun in 380. And a great gun it is. CZ tops my list as far as ergonomics go. The CZ 83 is a great choice, fit and finish is tops, grip and feel are excellent. Go for it, and don't look back. I love my 40 and plan on buying more CZ's just from my experiance with it. I've shot the 83, it handles and shoots just like a Makarov.

My Keltec P3AT is the easiest thing to carry and conceal IMO.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    PaulFPaulF Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with Sperry on the AMT. I have a DAO 380, and have never had a problem.

A lot of people have and love the Keltec P3AT so much, I would try that too.

I had bad experiences with a Colt Government model 380, so I will never own another. (Jamming, feeding problems)
  • Options
    staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as mentioned before . . the cold mustangs are very nice. had one in my hand back in collage but let it slip through my grips . . .. a guy baught it the day i brought the money for the DP. o well, my SA lightwieght compact is working out just fine
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the Remington P51, great name, flat less then 1 inch wide, semi locked breach so the softest recoiling 380 ever, natural pointing just my $.02