In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help withHoliday Shotgun Shell Box ??

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have come up with a box of 12ga 2 3/4 magnum marked Holiday. I have never heard of this brand and wondered about the value if any.
When were they in business and who sold them. They were picked up in South Carolina. I will ad photos later

Comments

• Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was a proprietary line for Ericksen Petroleum of Minnesota which operate(s or d) "Holiday" convenience stores in conjunction with their gas stations. These were produced in two series - the first by Alcan, which will have the Alcan headstamp, the second by CIL which have a "Holiday" headstamp. These were only produced 1971 - 75 and if the box is gem mint fresh, it will bring $50 (min) - $75 (be prepared to wait!) at retail without shells. Value drops off sharply with lesser quality packaging and the presence of shells will increase the value somewhat.

HTH,
    Iconoclast
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks Icon. These are the CIL because the headstamp is Holiday.
    One of the top locks broke off last night while i was opening them to check. Yhis is a scan of the front of the box

holiday.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The damage is regretable, but cest la vie. If I had it, I'd put it up with a $60 open and $100 BIN. That may be a trifle high, but it's always easier to drop the amount after it runs a bit than to raise it. Be forewarned, the market for collector material is thin & quirky. Items can literally gather dust . . . then out of the blue three people will chase one of the wall flowers into stratosphere. Patience is a virtue while you wait for the proverbial "right guy(s)." Emphasize that the box is full with the correct shells - with those in the box, I'd be surprised it lasts very long because most of the boxes I've seen offered were flat empties (never used) or partials . . . but the only time I walk on water is in January, and then gingerly!

Good luck!
  • Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello wipala,

For what it's worth:

In addition to the Holiday Station Stores, Holiday Companies operated a chain of department stores in Minnesota, originally called "Holiday Village" and later "Holiday Plus". These stores were heavily sporting goods oriented, but also carried toys, automotive products, apparel, hardware, etc., in addition to a large grocery section. In the mid-1990's, Holiday Companies purchased Burger Brothers sporting goods and the retail store portion of the bankrupt Gander Mountain. In the late 1990's they sold off the grocery store side of the business and renamed all of their existing stores under the Gander Mountain brand. They have expanded aggressively since then, going from four stores in 1995 to around 100 nationwide today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by schintzie
    Hello wipala,

For what it's worth:

In addition to the Holiday Station Stores, Holiday Companies operated a chain of department stores in Minnesota, originally called "Holiday Village" and later "Holiday Plus". These stores were heavily sporting goods oriented, but also carried toys, automotive products, apparel, hardware, etc., in addition to a large grocery section. In the mid-1990's, Holiday Companies purchased Burger Brothers sporting goods and the retail store portion of the bankrupt Gander Mountain. In the late 1990's they sold off the grocery store side of the business and renamed all of their existing stores under the Gander Mountain brand. They have expanded aggressively since then, going from four stores in 1995 to around 100 nationwide today.

Thanks it's good to know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iconoclast
    The damage is regretable, but cest la vie. If I had it, I'd put it up with a $60 open and $100 BIN. That may be a trifle high, but it's always easier to drop the amount after it runs a bit than to raise it. Be forewarned, the market for collector material is thin & quirky. Items can literally gather dust . . . then out of the blue three people will chase one of the wall flowers into stratosphere. Patience is a virtue while you wait for the proverbial "right guy(s)." Emphasize that the box is full with the correct shells - with those in the box, I'd be surprised it lasts very long because most of the boxes I've seen offered were flat empties (never used) or partials . . . but the only time I walk on water is in January, and then gingerly!

Good luck!

Thanks for the help I will list them later this week. I picked up this and another box (mixed loads, A Pacific reloader,and powder wads and primers, along with a cardboard box of empties The cardboard box is a Herters clay pigeon box Some value in that as well but I am sorting the stuff out and will get picts up later
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=55405163
    Thanks for the help guys this is the listing check it out and let me know if it looks alright.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PM from listing sent; should answer your private questions as well . . . let me know if not.

Good luck!